The never ending battle...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AAcres, May 23, 2019.

1. AAcres

AAcres Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    ...of keeping the brooder dry.
    What a challenge! My six little ducklings will be 3 weeks old this weekend. And wow did they get even messier this past week.
    Here is my current set up that I’m trying out as of today.
    Since they live in my living room right now, I spot clean about 4-5 times a day and twice a day I was scooping everything out and adding new shavings.
    Then once every two or three days I would actually wash the tub while the little guys/gals were taking a bath in the bathtub.
    So much work!! And it would be all perfect and two seconds later...a disaster.
    Water everywhere, shavings all wet, smelly and bleh
    So I’m trying this...a little “kitchen” for the ducks as my four year old calls it.
    I hope it helps to keep one area dry!!
    0D710D79-732D-403F-8B2F-FD63C17AF619.jpeg

MallardMomx2 and quackiemama like this.
  2. MallardMomx2

MallardMomx2 Songster

Mar 2, 2019
    Ohio
    My Coop
    Ah, yes. The struggle.
    Looks like a great set up! I’ve heard that many people had success when laying grates down for water to fall in like you have done. How’s it working for you so far?
    I have little ones set to hatch June 7th and could use some “housekeeping” help as well. You’re never prepared well enough for the mess that comes with ducks:lau

DuckyDonna likes this.
  3. AAcres

AAcres Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    The grate is working! It’s just a cooling rack for baking. I did have to remove the tin foil I put underneath to catch the water because they were ripping it out. But so far so good now

MallardMomx2 likes this.
  4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    I have to say that pine pellets have worked much better for my waterfowl brooders than pine shavings - the pellets are absorbent and just break apart when wet (and can easily be scooped out - I just use a dustpan). My ducklings seem to know the pine sawdust isn't food, too.

A bit of wet mess isn't enough to keep me away from the waterfowl. :D

AAcres, DuckyDonna and Jpat like this.
  5. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    Can you translate said method for adult ducks? I'm quickly getting acquainted with duck muck.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    I bet you could - I use the deep litter method for my adults that are cooped at night, but I don't see why the pine pellets couldn't also be used for adults. A couple of inches (they come in 40# bags) of the pine pellets, with an optional layer of shavings on top (if desired - the shavings add a bit of "fluffiness") and I think you'll find that a total change-out won't be needed as often. Even if the pellets break down, just scooping off the wet stuff usually reveals that dry ones remain below.

Hope it works well for you!

DuckyDonna likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: