The never ending kitchen remodel...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Feb 2, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So the kitchen remodel extravaganza I posted about last week continues. I am clearly never getting the kitchen finished. Sigh. [​IMG]

So the guys came back today to install the new sink that came in yesterday to replace the broken one initially sold to me. I am happy to report that the new sink is in and is beautiful. The problem now is the faucet and drain. The guys installed all the pieces parts and the whole thing leaked like a sieve. The drain assembly (which was not the right brand, I argued it was not the right brand, and the company insisted that it didn't matter and wouldn't order the correct one to replace it) drips steadily. The faucet (a very expensive faucet I splurged on!) leaks from all sorts of random places. It leaks from places I thought were decorative seams even. Water, water everywhere.

Clearly the Universe does not intend for me to have a kitchen. I've had no running water in there for a week. Now it seems it will be another week. Arggg. Perhaps this is a sign from the Universe that I should never cook. If so, I'm hoping the Universe will convince the mexican place to deliver. One cannot live by pizza alone.

At what point do I give up and just run a hose from the bathroom?

Again I say, arrgg.
    [​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG]

How frustrating for you. [​IMG]

3. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Sounds like the people who installed it don't know what they're doing . So sorry this is happening to you . I'd suggest getting a new company to take a look at it and get it fixed . I don't know if the company you're using is because they were the cheapest or if it was from referals . Most people go with the cheapest and end up paying for it in the end . If you have to argue with them , then you should'nt have them doing the job . Get someone who will listen and do the job right ! Most companies will come out free of charge to give you an estimate . Just my thoughts ! Hope everything gets fixed ![​IMG]

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    My DH was supposed to drop the new glass cooktop we bought last week into the whole that the old one was in........

Well four hours later, a bunch of cutting and dust all over the house and it is finally in. Who the heck taught these people how to measure. The darn thing had screws that stuck out 1/4" on all four sides and it had four vent holes with metal covers too that stuck out 5/8" of a inch also.:mad:

The counter was not level either........[​IMG]

We'll be working on putting in the new dishwasher next weekend. Better get a plummer on speed dial.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Oh City Girl, my heart is breaking for you!

I hadn't read your last remodel post, so I went back and read it this morning. What a terrible nightmare. I'm so sorry!

And plumbing problems are the worst. But, it seems that the problems you describe shouldn't be too much of a problem for a REAL plumber. Please tell me that they will be back first thing Monday morning to make this right for you!

When you say the drain is leaking like a sieve, is it leaking where it attaches to the sink, or is leaking below that, or everywhere? Is the drain those little white plastic pipes that come in a package and hand tighten with wierd little screw together fittings? I hate those things, they were clearly invented by the devil! But they are used by almost everybody these days. Yes, they are in my kitchen.

But about the faucet, if it's leaking above the countertop, well, that just seems wrong. What brand of faucet did you buy? Price Pfister?

I have to go and let my chickens out now, but if there's anything I can do to help you, please PM me. You know that I'm here for you!

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Oh, I feel for you, CityGirl. We had our (only) bathroom gutted and remodeled 14 years ago...a cultured marble tub, cultured marble panels tub surround, new floor, new washer-less Price Pfister faucets. We had to stay in a motel for a week. All was well with our re-do until last year the bathtub spigot decided it "needed" to leak.

The people that did the original work had gone out of business so we asked around for a plumber referral. We bought a new set of fixtures for the tub and called the plumber. He came and installed it and everything seemed fine until we turned on the water. The water trickled out of the faucet, what happened to the flow?! DH calls the plumber and said that something must be wrong our water pressure. DH said, "no, it works fine in the kitchen!" Then the man said, "you must have gotten a bad set of fixtures". So we bought another set and when the plumber came back, DH started asking questions about things. Turned out the man didn't even look at the instructions, there were "left-over" pieces in the box that weren't installed and he admitted that he had no experience with that kind of fixture.

DH decided to call a plumbing supply company and ask for a referral. The 2nd plumber is a gem! He cost more per hour but he did the job in a fraction of the time as the 1st guy. We ended up buying another set of fixtures from the plumbing supply company and returning the Price Pfister junk to Lowes. The 2nd plumber said that the washer-less type has to have the whole thing replaced when something goes bad compared to replacing an inexpensive washer on the regular fixtures.

We hope to have new kitchen cabinets put in this summer but I don't think we will have your nightmare. At least we have the name of a good plumber and we are using the same people that installed the cabinets and counter tops in our home office.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hey, Lauralou! Did you get your coop finished? I finally got the playhouse together. We'll start on the run once it warms up. Brrr! I've been reading the thread about the $99 playhouse and now I want to go get another one so I can get more chickens. I can't seem to narrow down the breeds I want!

So the faucet assembly is by Huntingdon Brass. The drain assembly is by Waternity and made of brass with brass fittings. Both were expensive. They came from a kitchen/bath/plumbing store, not Home Depot or Lowes. The sink is a Kohler cast iron. That's the problem with the drain. The slope of the hole in the bottom of the sink does not match the area covered by the drain. I took it back a couple of weeks ago on the advice of my installer. He said he had all kinds of problems getting non-Kohler drains to fit properly in Kohler sinks. He said they almost always end up leaking because the flat part that you see when you look in the sink has to be wide enough to fit into the curve and non-Kohler drains generally don't. I dutifully passed that on to the store people and they argued that it would be fine. Wouldn't order the part that I asked for. I clearly didn't argue hard enough, but what do I know about plumbing? The water is leaking from where the drain meets the sink. I could look and see that the outside rim of the drain was not meeting well with the sink. It's too narrow. It just dripped away underneath.

Who knows what's up with the faucet? The faucet was a floor model that they boxed up and sold me at a discount. Even with the discount it was pricey. I liked it though because of the weight. It felt really solid and heavy. Plus it was cool looking! [​IMG] When we (and when I say we, I mean the two plumbing guys) got it all hooked up and turned on, water sprewed out of all sorts of places except the correct place. They started disassembling random parts and found a big wad of papertowel up in the part that water should come out of. They pulled that out and tried again. Everytime you turned water on it leaked from a couple of random seams. When you turned the faucets off it leaked out the back and ran down the counter. It is not leaking from the part they assembled (the part that connects to the sink). It is leaking from the preassembled seams of the faucet itself. Dunno what's up with that.

Soooo... Monday morning I will haul off back to the kitchen/bath place and have a chat. If they can make them work, then whoohoo. But I think my plumbing guys were right. So the kitchen/bath store needs to order replacements AND come install them. I don't mind paying for the upgrade in price to get the Kohler drain. I tried to do that weeks ago! I do think the store plumbers should now come assemble it all at no charge. The people I hired to do it have technically already fulfilled their obligations and more since they made two trips out because of the broken sink and have installed and un-installed the sink and drain assemblies.

I have decided the kitchen remodel is God's way of telling me I should never build a house from scratch. I"m pretty sure I would go postal on somebody. [​IMG]

The good news is that the countertops are beautiful and they are in and done. The sink is gorgeous. It's so pretty that I may never actually put dirty dishes in it! [​IMG] The cat clearly digs the cast iron as he has been rolling around in there purring up a storm. He's a freaky little cat though with sink issues. I need to do some touch up cut-in work on the painting, finish replacing the cabinet hinges and hang some pictures and then the place will be done. I will have a cheery yellow kitchen again! That was the biggest remodeling project that needed to be done to the place. The rest should be easy after this!

Hey, Lauralou- One of my work buddies has agreed to come help build my run with me. He's pretty pumped about it actually. I think I want to build it like a grape arbor so I can plant grapes on it. I'm plotting. Two more months and it should be warm enough to play outside. Then the chickens will be coming! Yay for me!!

CG

8. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    City Girl,

The coop is finished, and the chickies are very happy there. I'll try to post a picture for you. I've done it before, maybe I can do it again!

[​IMG]

And here are some of the girls, eating out of DH's hand.

[​IMG]

I'm glad you mentioned the $99 dollar playhouse. I need to check into that. Because I'm thinking about my spring chick order, too. And it is hard to choose breeds. The only one that I'm sure about is Dark Cornish, for a meat bird flock for my husband. (I told you that he'd love the birds once I got them!) I figured that I'd get myself 10 more layers, and then get a few Dark Cornish hens, and a bunch of Dark Cornish roos. We'll keep the best roo for breeding the hens. As for my layers, I'm thinking australorps, buff orpingtons, and speckled sussex. But I change my mind on that every other day.

It sounds like you have your sink situation under control. It's just a shame that you have to wait till your new stuff comes in. Especially when you tried to get them to order in advance for you. Dorks! Have you tried washing your dishes in the bathroom sink and laying them out to dry on a towel on the toilet? Been there, done that. No fun, but it does work.

I'm sure that your kitchen will be GREAT when you finally get it finished up. New floors, new countertops, new paint job... just try to hang in there until then. Come summer, I'll be looking for those homemade pickles in the mailbox! [​IMG]

I'm glad you have help building your run. What a nice guy your friend is. I absolutely love the idea of the grape arbor. Good thinking! Yeah, when the weather turns nicer, I'll be doing some stuff like that, too. I need to split my run in sections, build a couple more coops, and build a chicken tractor for the Dark Cornish roos. Too bad the groundhog saw his shadow...

9. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Hi! What did the plumbers use for a gasket between the inside of the sink and the drain basket(part that the stopper fits in). Did they use plumbers putty? Plumbers putty is soft and stays pliable for every. It conforms to the shape of the sink and strainer. I personal would not buy a fixture that has been a display because a lot of abuse can happen to them when people are not watching and parts can be missing. I worked for hardware stores for a long time.

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow, Lauralou! Your coop looks great! And your girls are beautiful. What are they? I'm so jealous. I want chickens right now! It's actually going to be in the high 60's, possibly low 70s next week, so it makes me think it's spring. I want to be out playing the in the yard and planting stuff. We did this last year though and had a super cold wave in April. I'm trying to be patient!

I think I've narrowed the list to Ameraucanas (I found that Alabama lady's email address and have been emailing her. Do you want it?), buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes, and welsummers.

I do have a washtub in the bathtub. I'm scrubbing stuff out in there. It's terribly inconvenient, especially because the dogs want to help. [​IMG] I keep telling them that boxers are not dish scrubbing dogs, but they aren't getting the message. Meanwhile, the cat is having a love fest with the clean and dry kitchen sink. He's going to be so bummed when I finally get it working!

I found a seed website that has weird plants (Hirt's) and I found seeds for red cucumbers. I want to do a Christmas edition of the sweet pickles- red and green! I'm ready to get out there and start digging.

HiddenMagnolia- they did use plumbers putty around the drain (after tightening it down and all). I figure my best bet is to take it all back to the store tomorrow and have a long conversation. The guys that put it in put in countertops and sinks all the time (multiple times a week). I've actually put in faucets before. This one didn't act like the one I put in. It leaked from weird places, not the places where a leak would make sense. Clearly buying the floor model was a poor choice, but as it had never been connected to water and the showroom was not one where people would have been just wandering around, I didn't really worry about it. Oh well... live and learn, I guess. They took care of the broken sink. I'm hoping they will be as efficient with this.

Thanks for the input, y'all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by