The New Chicks Arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marshallbrown, Apr 8, 2011.

1. marshallbrown

marshallbrown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Peterborough, NH
    I cant believe how excited I am!! We got our 8 new RR's day and they are so darn cute! Of course I wont sleep at all tonight making sure they are all ok. Its really hard not to pick them out of the brooder and play with them but I am being good and letting them alone to get used to the new place. New pics on our page.

2. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    First off...[​IMG]

I like your brooder it's very nice! Your chicks are adorable! In a few days, Im sure they will be more then ready to be held and cuddled! Mine love soft scritches just under their little wings they also loved to be coo-ed to and talked too. I love the little contented peeps chicks make when their little world is right....best sound in the world! Enjoy your new chicks!!

3. lizzytish2002

lizzytish2002 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Congrats! Jealous of your brooder its very nice. We have always just used a cardboard box but wish we had something nicer and more secure.

4. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    [​IMG]

Welcome! Welcome! And as stated before, really cool brooder box! I use to use cardboard boxes, then I gave up. I use rabbit cages now. Anyway, yah! to [​IMG] [​IMG] aren't they cute? Be careful while handling them... I was careless yesterday and almost had an oops. They tend to jump right out of your hands. Enjoy them, next thing you know they'll want cell phones, a car, and money for college. [​IMG]

5. marshallbrown

Apr 2, 2011
    Peterborough, NH
    Hey thanks for the great words of encouragement!! They seem to like the brooder. Chirping contently, eating, drinking and pooping, heh heh. The brooder is really a large cardboard box, we just made a wooden cover for it. I was afraid to go all out before I actually had more experience with chicks/chickens. I do have a tendency to guild the lily though:D

I do have one chick that seems to be kind of sluggish. Is there anything I can be doing to help her out? She isn't feeding like the rest and just wants to sleep all the time. I am worried about her. I know its only been a day since they have been here but I have already fallen in love with all of them!! Any suggestions or signs to look out for?

6. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chicks are truly adorable! On the sluggish chick: Did you get a package of electrolytes and vitamins to put in their water? You can also put a little sugar in the water. Make sure the little one is drinking and eating--she might need a little encouragement from you. She might also been the last to hatch so might be a little younger than the others.

7. marshallbrown

Apr 2, 2011
    Peterborough, NH
    Quote:We did not get any electrolytes or vitamins for water. Picking up more chick feed today and I will pick up some. I have seen her drink and have been trying to encourage her to get to the feeder. She is smaller than the rest of them but so darn cute. If I rally her to get up, she'll walk around for a bit then goes right back into sleep mode. She's quite the chirper though. Thanks for the advice about the water:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by