The new coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JustG, Dec 18, 2013.

1. JustG

JustG New Egg

Sep 13, 2013
    Ontario
    My Coop
    This past summer the hubby and I put in our new chicken run. We already had a (very) small barn on the property and decided we'd add a run to it and build the coop. This was our process:

[​IMG]
    Starting out the ground was very uneven, we had to dig out large sections in order to have a flat surface to work on.

[​IMG]
    We then laid in the patio stones so I could go off to work and not have to worry what might be trying to get at the birds.

[​IMG]
    We created all the panels first 4'x6' and assembled them.

[​IMG]
    Looking good so far.

[​IMG]
    Cut the door into the barn

[​IMG]
    Inside we laid flashing along the wall to help keep out any curious mice etc. When we moved here 2 years ago they had a cozy home in here.

[​IMG]
    We then added walls and a new floor. And used some nice limbs from a tree branch that fell in the spring.

[​IMG]
    On the other side of the pen we placed a small section for the baby birds so that the large birds and the babies could get used to each other.

[​IMG]
    Doors added almost done.... We have to add the roof still.

[​IMG]
    Just add birds. Our beautiful BBS Orpingtons. This phone photo really doesn't do them justice.

[​IMG]
    It's in a great location, The pen is beside cedars and blocks the North West winds and snow.

[​IMG]
    Last but not least, the Christmas lights.

1 person likes this.
  2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well welcome to BYC, and very nice chicken run and pin nicely planed out .......

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Excellent job!

And welcome to BYC!

4. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    good job I like this coop.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Great looking coop and run!! The paving stones alone the outside is a very nice touch!

6. JustG

JustG New Egg

Sep 13, 2013
    Ontario
    My Coop
    Thx everyone. After looking at some pics on the web, I designed it all myself :D
    Although when I was still lurking the halls around here about a year or so ago when I first caught the chicken bug, I think I saw someone else using stones around their coup to keep things safe; though he put them in vertically; So, thx BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by