the new coop is almost finished(pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BekahBear, Jan 23, 2010.

1. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    i've been working on the coop for my 5 rescue girls. the coop itself is 4x4x4 with a slanted roof. i still need to build nest boxes into it and add a perch for them to roost on. the bottom half of the back wall will open up for easy access for collecting eggs when they start laying. for now it is just screwed on though. i will finish the door when i finish the nest boxes. hopefully i can work on it this weekend. i'll pain it when i'm done with it. i cut a large open front door for them so they can get good airflow in the summer since it gets so hot here. the run is 4x8x4. i used left over non climb cattle fencing from when we put up the dog run. the wire goes about 4 inches into the ground then fans out about a foot to make it difficult for anything to dig its way in. i plan on putting chicken wire along the bottom 2 feet of the run for added protection but i just haven't had the chance yet. the roof of the run is wire except for the first foot and a half or so after the coop. i made that out of plywood so they have a solid awning. the front of the run is plywood and has a 2' wide door on it. here are some pics of it. let me know what you think. how many chickens do you think could comfortably live in it?

here is a side view of the coop nad run
    [​IMG]

here is a view of the coop from inside the run
    [​IMG]

a quick pic of most of the girls
    [​IMG]

and a pick of my helper keeping watch over them for me lol...he loves them and is friends with them..you would think he was raised with chickens his whole life.
    [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Nice Coop:D

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    That is so awesome that your dog does so well with the girls like that! I've got 2 westies, and a german sheperd and we can't let any of them near our chickens! Like the coop too!

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

5. BekahBear

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    thanks guys. and yea, Rio would hang out in the coop all day with them if i let him. hes the only dog out of our pack that i would trust with them though. most of the the Bloodhounds(we have 5) think they look/smell like chew toys

6. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Nice coop! What kind/size wire is that?

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Your coop is looking good! You asked about how many chickens it would fit? I would stick with the five you have. The general rule of thumb is 4 sq. feet of indoor space and 10 sq. ft. of run space per standard sized bird (it looks like these are all standard sizes). Unless they are out in the yard a decent amount each day, it's a little snug as it is now.

8. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice coop, pretty chickens , cool dog and you have bloodhounds Nice!! Please Please let us see??
    [​IMG][/URL]img]

9. BekahBear

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    What kind/size wire is that?

i believe its Red Brand non-climb horse fencing. the stuff i used was 5'high...we dug it about a foot in the ground to keep predators from being able to dig in. i've seen it at Lowes and some feed stores. its usually used for horses or cattle. the wire is woven together and the spaces are about 2"x4". its great for horses since they cant get a hoof caught in it. we used it to section off a 20'x90' dog run. i used the leftover to build the coop.​

10. BekahBear

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    Nice coop, pretty chickens , cool dog and you have bloodhounds Nice!! Please Please let us see??

thanks. and sure...i'm always willing to share some pics of the hounds [​IMG]

first up is "Bert" (Oakie Acres Amber Alert)
    [​IMG]
    next is "Abby" (Abby Stevens Douglas) this is right after her last litter..she is now retired after 2 beautiful litters
    [​IMG]
    this is "Princess" (Palmers Crimson Princess) from abby's 1st litter (we dont have the dad anymore..we gave him to a friend)
    [​IMG]
    this is "Ginger" (Palmers Little Ginger) same litter as princess. i love this pic of her at the park. i want to send it in to a calendar or postcard
    [​IMG]
    this is "Diamond" (Palmers Diamond in the Ruff) from abby's 2nd litter dad is bert
    [​IMG]
    and i had to throw in this pic. its one of diamond's littermates. i just love baby squishy faces. they're so huggable [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by