The New Coop is En-Route!

MEMama3

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Vacation Land; Maine
I figured I'd start a new thread so I don't spam the living daylights out of someone else's with all the pictures of my project.

I am super excited today. My father has an 8'x8' retired ice shack that he is bringing by today. As much as I love my Golden Girls coop (lots of love and time has been invested in it, plus it's darn cute), it doesn't suit my needs and will be relocated and used as a sick bay/new bird home. Anyways, back to the new coop. It is insulated and stick built with aluminum siding. It has several decent windows that are non functioning, but will serve we'll for lighting until I get my hands really dirty (aka: skill saw!!!!)

My big projects before move in include cutting in some vents, adding a pop door, ripping out commercial carpeting, as well as replacing a ruined insulation panel and covering the insulation where it's exposed. I got my nest boxes (three out of 5) painted last night. My roost pole just needs to be cut down to size and installed. I also need to hunt down some plywood to make the tops for the nest boxes. It will double as a poop board.

So I have a few pictures that I will pull off my camera and post asap. I will also update as I work, so please give feedback if you have suggestions or see any problems.

Yeah!!!!

Two individual boxes measuring 16" cubed and raised 1' off the floor. One communal/broody box that measures 24"x20"x28" and sits at floor level.
I will be making two more individual boxes to go on the other side of the broody box. A sheet of plywood will go on top of these and have edges so I can use it as a poop board,

The future site of the new coop. Bye bye Golden Girls coop. On a completely unrelated note, look whose finally getting some feathers in! This poor girl has been molting for almost 5 months. Until recently she had no back or neck feathers and she only had 5 or 6 tail feathers. A sad and pitiful case indeed.​

Alright, despite freezing rain we got it in place. It's ugly as sin, but I can make anything look good... eventually.

Due to icky conditions, a slip on the ice resulted in the old coop not being functional, so I had to book it to make the shed "okay for now". I used tar paper to cover the bottom half of the walls to keep the birds from pecking the exposed foam insulation. Only one side has been paneled. I put a temporary roost on the paneled side to get us through until I get the other side paneled. The vents have not been put in, but my door has not been framed and there is a huge gap over the top which should allow for plenty of ventilation for tonight (thank goodness the only predators we TYPICALLY deal with are local dogs off leash).

Here's what we've got for tonight:

The shed and Miss Sophia Pecktrillo trying out the new nestbox. I used a feed back to make a temporary slanted roof.

A view from the front door. I barely have any bedding in there, but considering I'll have to push it all back to panel and add a higher threshold for the door tomorrow, it will suffice for now. The second picture is a view from the hoop house door. We didn't get to putting in a pop door today so they'll just have to go out that tomorrow.​

Just found a repossessed lofted barn cabin and am awaiting for it to be delivered so I can begin building my coops on the inside along with the storage area.

Just found a repossessed lofted barn cabin and am awaiting for it to be delivered so I can begin building my coops on the inside along with the storage area.

Now THAT would be my dream coop!!
droolin.gif

"My father has an 8'x8' retired ice shack that he is bringing by today. As much as I love my Golden Girls coop (lots of love and time has been invested in it, plus it's darn cute),"

I hope he got a new one for the ice. That 'll make a nice coop for you.
enjoy.

"My father has an 8'x8' retired ice shack that he is bringing by today. As much as I love my Golden Girls coop (lots of love and time has been invested in it, plus it's darn cute),"

I hope he got a new one for the ice.  That 'll make a nice coop for you.
enjoy.
he did. his new one has a bathroom lol

Back
Top Bottom