the new coop`

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by schmism, Nov 12, 2007.

1. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    A week ago fri i found myself newly unemployed, (second round of layoffs) this ment i have had plenty of time to work on projects around the property. With winter fast aproching i new i was going to have to get my permant coop done.

and now i had the time.

http://www.snjschmidt.com/coupe.html

the focus was keeping cost down.... so i tried to use as much recycled framing material from around the farm as possible. Sideing, OSB for the roof were 2 things i couldnt scrouge up (although i did consider recyleing some vertical barn sideing, but wanted to save that for a diffrent shed)

The shingles were left over end of stock. broken bundles from the local hardware store..... $8 a bundle... (half price)

The design was based off one my uncle built for his chickens and when considering coop designs i just loved it for a number of reasons.

Its 5x8 footprint, the peak is 8' (one sheet ply tall) the 12/12 pitch roof adds and classic design detail... mixed with the detail in the trim. short side is 4' tall, tall side is 5'

being built on skids means its should be easy to move in the future should i want to.

a couple of teaser shots from the link above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still havent framed up the door, cut openings for the chicken door, egg door, and side window. The upper vertical portion will house windows, and they face south. The location is well shaded in the summer but with the leaves off the trees, should gather decent sunlight.

There will be two chicken doors, one out the north side (the tall side) to an enclosed pen (predator proof) and one out the front to free range the yard which they currently do.

There will be 2 nest boxes on the south wall (short side) and an egg door on that side.

There will be a series of roosts inside. a couple of lower ones and a main one up at eye level that allows the girls to sit and look out the upper windows/catch the warm sun in the winter.

The windows will be mesh covered with removable glass inserts for the summer.

Feel free to ask questions.....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    So sorry to hear about your job.[​IMG] Your coop is absolutely fantabulous!!! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    That looks wonderful!! Congratulations!

4. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    ever thought about just workin for urself lol as a coop builder. seems to me ur a good carpenter.just a thought

5. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    ya ive done contract work (Remodling etc) in the past. (technically im a mechanical engineer)

I thought about offering the coupe as a prebuilt unit.... its only 5' wide so it would fit on standard dual axle trailer fine.

The real question is are people willing to pay for it....

6. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    So do you have plans for your coop that someone else could follow?? And how many could fit in there??

7. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    dang, that's pretty cool

a little whimsical ...

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    A 5 X 8 would hold 10 heavy breed birds. 13 light breed bird (whatever light breed means) and 20 bantams.

Cool coop. Will they pay? I'm trying to sell one now, I'll let you know [​IMG]

9. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    you would be surprised what they would pay if ya had a kit building so they could put it together.or just sell them already built. and advertize dude. im one who always says set ur goal and go after it .one reason i say this is i have seen alot of people who could be their own boss . just spend their time making money for the other guy.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  10. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    Great looking coop,get in the picture next time and guaranty braggin rights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by