The New Girls are disappointing so far...UPDATE

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wbruder17, Jul 23, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So, my flock is up to 20, with the oldest young ones just starting to lay. And so far, one of them keeps laying her eggs on the shelf under their top perch, so of course they roll off and break all over the floor. I've gotten 3 soft eggs that smooshed all over the coop and the worst of all, my prize EE that I hatched by my silkie and was SO looking forward to getting some nice green/ blue eggs..... and theyre brown. Brown eggs are great and all, but I specifically chose the birds I got so that I could have a very diverse basket of eggs.

She is, however, making up for the disappointment by giving double yolkers on the 2 she's laid so far. Oh well, she's still one of my favorites.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Aww [​IMG]. Don't worry, they're new at this [​IMG]. Give 'em a chance! [​IMG]

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Oh, yeah, I know... I'm being a bit of a brat. I was just REALLY looking forward to those green/blue eggs from Fizzgig. Sophie already lays beautiful green eggs and I have 5 more EE that will be laying soon, so I will keep my fingers crossed for some color from them.[​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She'll figure out where to lay that egg.

5. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Yeah, I'm hoping my new EE lays blue.. [​IMG]. It's fine if she lays brown though, those are big and pretty.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Aww, that does sound frustrating. I'd want my EE to lay blue eggs too. As it is I have six girls, all brown egg layers. Maybe next year we'll add somebody new.

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    As you can see from my little statement at the bottom, I have one of each, all chosen for egg color, bird color and personality, but I specifically have brown, white and green egg layers as well as different sized eggs, so another brown egg layer kinda miffs up my "plan" a bit.

8. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    ok, so the newbies are redeeming themselves. Even tho iit is STILL on the shelf, today there were 2 eggs up there instead of one....and its the teeny tiniiest little egglet, so it MUST be from my little OEGB who has been squatting for me the last couple of weeks. There was also a small brown egg, which may or may not have been laid by a new chicken or the EE that disappointed me with her egg color. AND......

I got a very small, BEEEAUTEEEFUL green egg. Hooray!

9. azalea

azalea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Congratulations on the green egg! [​IMG]

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    ....and its the teeny tiniiest little egglet...

[​IMG]

Silliest thing I've read today... lol

thanks for the giggle!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by