1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The New Guy & His Chicken Lady!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rancho Garcia, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Rancho Garcia

Rancho Garcia Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hello we are new members here on BYC and new to raising chickens 5 months now. From Fort Worth Texas, We look forward to getting advise and sharing our chicken stories with anyone that will listen/read. We have a total of 16 chickens. 6 at 5 months & 10 at 3-5 weeks old. In separate coops. 1 of the 4 month old chickens an Old English Buff Bantam, seems to have fowl pox. It has some crusty scab like stuff growing on its beak. We went to Russel Feed Supply "Texas" tried to get some useful advise, which isn't always the case from them. They have made many mistakes on just being able to tell us the correct breed of chickens we've bought from them. Anyway we bought some medication to put on her beak. They recommend we clean the coop which I did, I moved the coop to a fresh patch of grass, cleaned the feeders, sprayed the coop with some spray we bought from Russel Feed. We seen lots of people talking about Oxine to clean coop with & spray on our ladies & the cock. Is there anything I should or can do that I haven't done. We only have 2 coops and aren't able to quarantine her if that is something you all would recommend. Thanks, look forward to hearing what people have to say.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'd suggest typing "fowl pox" in the search box and comparing the photos with what you see. There are basically two types of fowl pox - "wet" and "dry". Feel free to post your concerns, preferably with photos, on the ER thread, where the experts should be able to help you out - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC

1 person likes this.
  4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to the BYC site!

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Rancho Garcia, and :welcome. Happy you joined us! Good luck to you and your flock!

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by