The new guy:-)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Buckbeak01, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Buckbeak01

Buckbeak01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2015
    North Carolina
    Hey guys! I'm new here. I grew up in a small town in NC and raised Bantams (silver duck wings) and had several larger breeds (Plymouth barred rock and Rhode Island reds) when I was in high school. I had a pet rooster named big red! I loved my chickens. I'm 32 years old now. Got married, moved to a urban area and have two kids. Missing my small town life a lot and wishing I could get hens in my back yard. I live in a development out of the city limits. I have a fenced in back yard. My HOA says I can't have poultry for "commercial use." Can anyone recommend the next best step to find out if it's legal for me to have hens only and a coop in my back yard? Thanks! This site is great!:)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have never had to deal with HOA's before however from the sounds of it, if you are only keeping for pets and eating eggs, they are not considered "commercial"? I would first contact your local city hall and find out if keeping hens is legal in your county or town. If so, you might approach your HOA board and tell them of these findings. See if they can't give you some wiggle room if you promise to keep it quiet and clean.

You might also stop by this section here on BYC on Local Laws and how to get them changed....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Good luck and I sure hope you can get some hens soon!!

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and love your screen name, Buckbeak, From the Potter series? [​IMG]

4. Buckbeak01

Buckbeak01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks Two Crows! I do love Harry Potter...and chickens have beaks, so thought it was appropriate;-) Thanks for the great advise. I'll keep you posted.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will be able to have chickens.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

You've received some good advice from TwoCrows! I hope you can get chickens![​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us and good luck getting a backyard flock.

I'm no expert, but if the only ordinance prohibits "for commercial use" then it would seem for pets that would be doable.

I would suggest you make sure it is not against the city or county ordinances, and talk with your immediate neighbors to see if it is ok with them. Reread the HOA and if it only states against commercial use, then go for it.

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by