The new hens won't lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenSquakers, Oct 4, 2016.

1. HenSquakers

HenSquakers New Egg

Oct 4, 2016
    We got our first 3 hens (8 months old) in the spring & they have been fantastic layers. We get 3 eggs almost every day. About 3 weeks ago, we got 3 more hens. The were 8 months old when we got them as well. The 3 new hens had been laying according to the previous owner, but they've never laid for us. For the first week or 2, the older hens pecked at the new hens mercilessly. Now, they are much more mellow, but still keep their distance from each other. I realize that I didn't introduce them properly to each other, but what can I do now? How can we get them to produce eggs?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It can take a month or two for them to start laying after being introduced to a new home. It's also molting season and a time when production starts to decline due to the shortening days.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

First off your Birds are too young to be moulting...They will moult next fall at around 18 months old...
    You introduced new birds so the stress has delayed egg production...Once pecking order is established in the flock they will start laying again...Shortened day light hours effects laying also...Might get a few eggs in a few weeks but laying will resume around February depending on the amount of day light hours....

Cheers!

4. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    oh and by the way [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you read the post carefully, the first set of birds were 8 months old in the spring. That means that they are old enough for molting. Last year I had a bunch of 8 and 9 month olds do soft, partial molts.

6. chickens really

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No. I mean that at 8 to 9 months old, after they had been laying for a few months, they molted their neck, wing, and tail feathers. It was a weird year. It wasn't juvenile molting. A few did a full blown molt at 10 months.

8. chickens really

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I was just pointing out that molt is not entirely out of the question. And no, my flock had not undergone any changes. Feed is always available. It was just a weird year for molting.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Can you post pics of your new hens?

In my experience it takes about 2 weeks for a moved bird to start laying again, but sometimes weird things happen. What are you feeding? How much space do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by