The New Pen

snugglepup

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
Ok, so after the Great Fox Massacre of 2007, we completely tore down the old (chickenwire) pen... and built a new and improved pen.

Some of the parts we had left over from other projects, but we did have to buy a lot of materials. It's worth it for my babies! We used treated 4x4s for the posts, 2x4s for the frame and welded wire for the sides and bottom. I used the remainder of my chicken wire and buried it in an L along the bottom. We also have cinderblocks buried 3 deep for a "foundation." The door we picked up for a couple bucks at a Habitat ReStore. Looked so cute, and fit just right.

FortChicken1.jpg

FortChicken2.jpg

FortChicken3.jpg

FortChicken4.jpg

FortChicken5.jpg
This is my husband putting on the roof. I love that he humors me.
smile.png

FortChicken7.jpg

I don't have a good picture with the roof on, because it got dark by the time we were done. The whole roof is covered with welded wire also. I'm thinking about adding a sunshade and/or tarp over part of it.

That is so awesome!!!!! Your chickens are very lucky to be loved like that. I love it when people treat their chickens so nice. I always feel so sorry for the chickens that dont have it so good. I love seeing the nice, safe coops and runs like yours
woot.gif

Thanks guys!!

This is our first construction project we did that looks pretty much like what we pictured. We used a level and everything! I am so proud of us!

Now it's time to plan "The Annex." I mean, after all this, I'm going to need breeding pens and grow-out pens right?

In feng shui the color red is associated with success and prosperity and having a red door may hopefully help keep the badies out. Looking good.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom