1. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Ok, so after the Great Fox Massacre of 2007, we completely tore down the old (chickenwire) pen... and built a new and improved pen.

Some of the parts we had left over from other projects, but we did have to buy a lot of materials. It's worth it for my babies! We used treated 4x4s for the posts, 2x4s for the frame and welded wire for the sides and bottom. I used the remainder of my chicken wire and buried it in an L along the bottom. We also have cinderblocks buried 3 deep for a "foundation." The door we picked up for a couple bucks at a Habitat ReStore. Looked so cute, and fit just right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]This is my husband putting on the roof. I love that he humors me. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a good picture with the roof on, because it got dark by the time we were done. The whole roof is covered with welded wire also. I'm thinking about adding a sunshade and/or tarp over part of it.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That is so awesome!!!!! Your chickens are very lucky to be loved like that. I love it when people treat their chickens so nice. I always feel so sorry for the chickens that dont have it so good. I love seeing the nice, safe coops and runs like yours [​IMG]

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    That is a great pen. Your hubby deserve a big hug for taking care of your babies like that. Some shade cover would be great also.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Those chickens are living the high life. It looks really secure. The door is just too cute. Great job.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Looks great!

7. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Great looking pen.........."nice pens make happy chickens"

8. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Thanks guys!!

This is our first construction project we did that looks pretty much like what we pictured. We used a level and everything! I am so proud of us!

Now it's time to plan "The Annex." I mean, after all this, I'm going to need breeding pens and grow-out pens right?

9. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Quote:ahhh, spoken like a true addict! [​IMG]

10. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    In feng shui the color red is associated with success and prosperity and having a red door may hopefully help keep the badies out. Looking good.

Jeremy

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by