The new permanent pen setups in progress for spring.. (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scottingitup, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Tired of dealing with the stupid plastic bird netting and it's constant holes.... so onward goes the plans for the new bird pens. 4 30X40 pens. How I am doing the roof is still in progress but you should get the idea.
    The pens will be done up with the works, water spigots & float valves running nipple waters, pvc auto feeders,etc. 1 pen for layers, 1 for broilers & breeders, turkeys and then the ducks. Ducks are getting a pond which will be used for duck ponix.

Coop designs are still floating in my head.

[​IMG]

The person in top left is standing near the furtherest corner post from house.

[​IMG]

A load of topsoil and the area that is being cleared tomorrow.

[​IMG]

another view of area to be cleared

[​IMG]

5 posts in on back side (no gates)

[​IMG]

excavator is here and out of diesel - the operators will return tomorrow

[​IMG]

The garden ark, fence posts and Phoebe stopping to feed

[​IMG]

Here you can see the flock and somewhat of how the temporary pen was setup - most of it is moved out of the way for the clearing.

[​IMG]

Crapbag and his ladies
    [​IMG]

Bonus pics..
    Razzle & Dazzle (runners) Velma & Roxy (roeun girls) Weensie,Old Blue and Frank the Tank (roeun drakes) in their temporary pen.

[​IMG]

Berny the great chicken herder
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] This looks like a huge project, but [​IMG] !

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Wow, that'll be really nice when it completed!! [​IMG]

4. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Great pics! Huge run for your birds. Very kind of you. My yard is much smaller and any run would be equally diminished. I'm worried about potential toxicity so I'm looking into mobile coops instead to keep the ground fresh. Love your idea though. If I had room I'd do the same! Thanks for sharing.

5. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    This is such a big project it makes my head hurt - but I love watching YOU do it!! Makes me appreciate how much skill other people have!

6. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Your gonna need more chickens!

7. Scottingitup

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! This will be my largest project to date but I think it is going to be really nice when all is said and done. As for the large runs - keep in mind chicken math [​IMG] I made them oversized for 50 birds. I will post more pictures later today with more progress.

8. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    THAT blows us all out of the water...just look at the tractor work involved. HUGE project. And what a beautiful surrounding area too. Im anxious for more pictures!

9. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    P.S. - I had a call from your rooster today. He said if you don't start showing him some more respect and give him a more dignified name than "Crapbag" he's gonna knock you down and peck your eyes out.... He suggested Banderas

10. Scottingitup

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Haha the rooster's name fits in with the rest of the friends theme.. [​IMG]

Not too much progress today, still pretty good though.

Now you can see both of the far corner posts..almost it's just behind the pile there...

[​IMG]

Starting to burn the giant pile of trees, wish I could afford mulching but I can't.

[​IMG]

Got a few more fence posts in on the back side, plan to finish that task tomorrow and figure out how I am going to level the cleared area. Neighbor doesn't want to loan out his tractor anymore. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by