the newbies are bullying my original two

holyshihtzu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
I tried to read as many posts on the subject as possible, I am not fully satisfied yet.
I originally had two silkies, over the last few months one of my silkies spends a lot of time inside the coop hanging out. my other silkie seemed a little lonely, bored and not sure what to do with herself. I have been serching for a few months to find friends for her, I found a silkie/easter egger mutt, a polish, and a yokohama. when I had them quarantined, they seemed to get along with each other and my active silkie even watched them. I was told by the woman that sold them that the mutt was often picked on so I thought she would be a happy to be away from the big birds. after 3 days I let the 3 new hens run around the fenced in chicken designated area and they seemed ok. I let out my silkies (they are locked in at night for safety) and almost imediately the mutt started chasing and pecking my silkies. then the polish decided after eating that she would prove herself. at this time the yoko was not in the pen with the others. I now have removed all the new chickens to the transition area that has a door to the garage, a gate to the rest of the backyard and a gate to the chicken area. does it make sense to have the new hens here for the day so the silkies have their space but can see the other chickens or am I making more of a problem?

update-the three were released by the general public by the wind yesterday (I really need a new latch). My conclusion is that, because they were bullied at the last home they are now food and water agressive with my silkies(who dont peck back). I should have stuck with the original plan to keep only silkies.

I are most likely correct. One that gets bullied takes the first chance it gets to bully others. The lowbies around here try to bully the doves lol.

I am trying to break their food agression. that seems to be the main issue. thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom