1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The newest non-human members of our family! (and my very first chickens ever!!!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NancyB22000, Sep 9, 2012.

1. NancyB22000

NancyB22000 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Marshfield, MA
    At last - we did it! [​IMG]

We bought 5 lovely girlies today, from a fellow BYCer (thanks, Arielle! [​IMG] ). They are settling in nicely, and we apparently built the coop correctly, because the girls knew exactly what to do. [​IMG]

I've checked on them 3 times already . . . I think they're getting a bit annoyed, lol!

To give credit where major credit is due, my wonderful husband built this coop by himself!!! We studied coops and coop plans together, especially on here. He says he's not handy, but I think he did a great job! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NancyB
    [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

He did a wonderful job, I can see why your new girls are thrilled with it! [​IMG] Enjoy them!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Yay! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very nice! Congratulations!

5. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    good looking job-congrats and[​IMG]

6. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Congrats and enjoy!!!!

[​IMG]

7. New babies New Babies!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! Tell your DH that the coops looks great! He is handy.

They will love their new home. And no, they will not be annoyed at you for visiting them that much. They love it! especially when you bring a treat to them each time you go out and say hi.

[​IMG]

8. NancyB22000

NancyB22000 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Marshfield, MA
    Thanks, everyone!

The girls are settling in nicely. I've spent some time just hanging out in the run with them - 3 of the 5 are pretty comfortable around me, the other 2 are starting to come around. I gave them a little hay today - they loved scratching in it and kicking it around. Gave them a few smalll cherry tomatoes - I love their quizzical looks!

Fishnet - I wasn't very clear - they were getting annoyed because we were checking on them after we put them 'to bed". I went out 3x last night, and asked DH to check on them when he left at 2 am to go to work. I'd be annoyed, too. [​IMG] They are happy to see me during the day - treats seem to be one of the keys! I've already had 3 of them eating from my hand, and one flew up & landed on my shoulder/back. That was funny!!!

I'm a bit better tonight - I've only been out 2x, and I'll ask DH to check when he leaves at 3:30. I'll relax some when I see that that we've made the coop as safe as we can for them.

I'll tell DH you said he's handy - I've always thought so, he just doesn't believe me!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words!

NancyB

9. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Awe look at how happy they are! Very nice job on the coop :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by