The night of day 19 - I want to candle sooooo bad!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DangerChickenHouse, Feb 3, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I need someone to:

a) talk me out of it

or

b) tell me it's okay to candle

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    What would you be seeing at day 19 anyway? I can never see anything that advance in the cycle. I can barely make out anything past day 10.

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    STEP AWAY FROM THE BATOR..........AWAY!!!!! I know what you mean. I just put some quail on lockdown. I've never hatched quail before so I'm a bit anxious. I have my incubators running in a less convenient place in my house this year to assist me in leaving the darn things alone. :)

4. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah....I just did a BYC search on candling this late in the game. I basically found a lot of responses that said it was too risky. I don't want to damage my eggs. I guess I'm worried that they are already dead. I just want to know!

5. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Once they go into lockdown, all you can do is hope and wait. Check on humidity every once in awhile.....don't over stress about it. It's pretty much out of your hands. Let them do what they are going to do. :)

6. Fabidon

Fabidon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Can you explain to me exactly what is meant by lockdown? I assume it means stop turning or even opening the incubator but when do you start the lockdown? I am hatching out ducklings and just had one hatch at day #26 and another is starting to crack its shell. Did I do wrong by not 'locking down' the incubator? I wanted to mist a few times a day....it is an older style incubator with no humidity control; it has a cup of water but no guages.
    I started with 19 eggs; 2 did not develop; a few are questionable and 1 did hatch. I want to give them the best possible start so I need further advice. Thanks for your help.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    depending on duck breed depends on when they hatch most hatch within 28 days which means day 25 would be lockdown. when in lockdown you stop turning and raise the humidity and leave the eggs alone. the only thing that needs to be watched is the humidity. you dont want to open the bator and let the humidity out as that can kill the chicks or what ever is being hatched by shrink wrapping them or they could come out as sticky chicks

8. Fabidon

Fabidon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you so much for that info. Today is day # 28 and I have had three hatch out as of last night and two more are in the process. They are Pekin and Rouen but the three that have hatched are Pekin. I sure hope we get a few Rouen....do they hatch later?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by