The "Not Perfect" Coop/Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AfroChickens, Apr 17, 2017.

1. AfroChickens

AfroChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    Henry County
    So I'm a newbie to chickens. I have had my 4 Buffs for almost 2 weeks. When I began the project, I had a different design in mind but ended up having to make adjustments to lower costs and to make it more practical.

I never built anything outside of engineering software types of buildings. I didn't watch any videos on the subject. I initially wanted it to be completely open like a aviary buuttttt hardware cloth is expensive. My focused was being sturdy and predator proof. I also wanted it to not get too hot because I am in GA and our summers are pretty crazy. I know buffs are cold hardy but I didn't want to cause a heat stroke. Paint was oops paint so I had no color scheme in mind. Wood was either salvaged (lots of wood left over from the people that owned the house before us) or bought. We had a hill on that part of the yard and the ground was tough to work so that's why there is some uneven going on. Roof is a combination of polycarb to let the sun in and aluminium roofing.

Inside is filled with garden soil. The floor is a combo of hardware cloth and concrete cause I was trying to cut some costs. I made it large because I wanted them to feel like they have tons of room. I have too many cats in the area and cover for hawks to let them free range. Also, the occasionally loose dog.I used plastic bins as nesting boxes. I have Buff Orps so making a low roost wasn't an issue. I have a little motion light for predators. The unpainted wood was later additions to make it predator proof. I'll probably paint it later. It's a little dusty from old concrete dust and no rain lately. To connect the different ends of wire, we (my bf) did some wire weaving. We used the wire that came with the hardware cloth.

Overall, it was a great project. Stressful because they came before it was done but overall, a great project. Learned alot from my mistakes. My next project is a quail pen. This time, I have a better idea of what I want and price point. If you take out the costly mistakes of my coop/run, it will probably be around between $300-$400. The quail pen design that I have in mind, with the material list, is $140. If I did detail pre-planning (I did detail pre-planning but I felt I could have done even more!) before but I think I could have built this with much lower costs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think you did fine. Form follows function.
    Everything we do is a learning experience.

1 person likes this.
  3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Form follows function? You stole my line! [​IMG]

There used to be a guy on the Internet who wrote blogs and did youtubes and such on how to raise chickens. AC's new coop actually looks better than some of that guys' stuff. So yes, I too think she did fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The only criticism I have looking at the pictures again is that the roofs seem to slope toward the center by the door. That could create a big mud mess during heavy rains.

5. AfroChickens

AfroChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    Henry County

Thanks!

Thanks you!

I saw that as a possible issues as well. I had added some drainage to the top middle section. So far, it's done well for a a quite a few heavy storms since then.Beginner's luck haha.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Having a slope leading away from the coop helps.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Everybody loves Buff Orpingtons. But you need some Black Penedesencas. They've been my favorite from the first ones I got. Extremely heat hardy, great foraging birds, dark eggs and very daytime predator proof - if you have a good rooster with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by