1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

The Not right in the head chicken update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OliviaDeHav, Aug 24, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    I just added some photos of Lucy as a reply, so they are in another reply on this post...

Well, we tried with Lucy. There were visits outside with the others and having her in the run with them, and as the week went on, things got worse. So, we need to find a home for her by herself.
    If you look at my other post on Lucy, you will see she is a special chicken. Not right in the head. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4693466
    For
    example... when they are outside in the yard, if there is a noise they don't feel safe with, all of them will hide under a bush, or run back to their coop... Lucy just keeps pecking at the ground like nothing is going on.... We have cones on top of her feeder and waterer... only she keeps getting on top of them anyway and knocking them down...over and over again.. as soon as we put the cones on, the others stopped trying to get on top of them. Also the other day, she was on top of the feeder - yes, on top of the cone - and I went in and waved my hand over the top of the chicken wire top and said, "get down" - no reaction. So I am wondering... what WILL she react to??? I hit the top of the wire - which is only an inch or so from her head - no reaction! I lift up the top and set it down hard to make a really loud noise - no reaction! Nothing! no reaction. If we have the top off to clean the brooder, she will gear up to fly out. We hold our hands up and say, "NO". The other chickens would stop...Lucy flies up and hits our hands...
    Back to outside... she found she could intimidate Blondie.. Not only would she not stop puffing up and trying to jump on her and peck her.. Lucy ran after her non-stop until I got hold of Blondie and put her back in the run. The other were all in there and it was just Lucy and Blondie. The others actually are getting worse with her in regards to letting Lucy interact with them.
    I don't think she can be with others at all... and I think she will need constant monitoring or be in a covered, secure area, as she has no fight or flight response in her at all.... Our concern is, if she is with others, they will attack her and if Lucy finds a "weaker" or more "docile" chicken, she will attack them!
    Just wanted to share the update....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

2. cheri222

cheri222 Songster

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    could her hearing be impaired?

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Followed your other post also... haven't a clue... your subject line says it all. [​IMG]

4. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:No, i've tested her... she comes to me when i call her... she just isn't right [​IMG] I'm too ill to have a chicken who needs that much care.... we might have a home for her where she will be by herself and spoiled [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    mmaddie's mom :

Followed your other post also... haven't a clue... your subject line says it all. [​IMG]

Me either... she seems to be missing the "flight or fight" response she should have... she will respond to sounds, but not react as she should to them or danger...​

6. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:BY the by....grew up in Erie... Millcreek on 13th and oregon! Went to Intermediate High School and Tracy Elementary (heard it was torn down!)

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Hope the "only chicken" home that you might have for her works out! [​IMG]

8. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010
    mmaddie's mom :

Hope the "only chicken" home that you might have for her works out! [​IMG]

Me too.... Will post if it does [​IMG]

9. cheri222

cheri222 Songster

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    Quote:BY the by....grew up in Erie... Millcreek on 13th and oregon! Went to Intermediate High School and Tracy Elementary (heard it was torn down!)

The landscape changes but the city really doesn't. Im in Harborcreek. I'll curse you when we're getting the lake effect pounding in a couple months! Its weird I used to live in Lakeland Fl and I see all sorts of people on here from there. Never saw a chicken the whole time I lived there.

10. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chirping

Jul 21, 2010

The landscape changes but the city really doesn't. Im in Harborcreek. I'll curse you when we're getting the lake effect pounding in a couple months! Its weird I used to live in Lakeland Fl and I see all sorts of people on here from there. Never saw a chicken the whole time I lived there.

LOL..... well... I live in NH and we get snow...but NOTHING Like the lake effect snows!!! You've not seen a snow storm until you've been through a lake effect that gets stalled and lasts days!! 4 feet of snow....5 feet of snow....and counting.... My father was a meteorologist at the Erie International Airport for NOAA. Nothing worse than being a weather guy in a lake effect area where the weather can be like that...of course NH changes every 2 seconds! 90 last week, 50s this week...then back into the 80s....
    The chicken thing does seem to be booming doesn't it??? I think folks are just tired of not knowing what is in their own food! At least that was our intent on starting with eggs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by