The numbers creep up on you

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sushi, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I've been collecting my button eggs and setting them every couple days. I have some serama eggs in my incubtor as well, so I have had 3 quail and 3 chicken racks in my turner. Well today I had to take out one of the chicken racks and pop in another quail rack, because the other 3 were full. I set 15 more eggs today and then counted up. I have 75 eggs in there ! Boy they sneak up on you. I am so happy though. It's been a real struggle to get them going sometimes.

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Oh man, I hope you have a lot of empty cages around.

75 buttons could mean you'll need up to 38 more cages, LOL. Granted not all will hatch, but even if you had just 50% hatch...

3. Sushi

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    If I were going to keep them all, yes. I have a number of people waiting for them though, most wanting multiple pairs. If I have more than I can sell to individuals, I am going to see if I can get a fair price from pet shops on them. I did see a pair coturnix selling for $30 in one pet shop and I know they used to carry buttons but the breeder they had retired from breeding them. I think that shop will be my first stop.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I wish we had a pet store close by here, that's one thing I'd thought of doing with the buttons. Maybe one day...

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Be sure you only sell grown buttons. Babies die with-in a day. I advize you to sell only adults. [​IMG]

6. Sushi

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Agreed Mrs.FluffyPuffy. I think they youngest I would sell them would be when they're feathered in everywhere but their heads. I wouldn't trust a pet shop to brood young chicks let alone educate the buyer on how to care for the little things.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I would only sell grown ones..if you're selling for pets..sell only the Males. Female buttons are: Wild, Flighty and hate to be handled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by