1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The odd flock problem

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by commanderforts, Aug 9, 2014.

1. commanderforts

commanderforts Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    I have a couple of questions to ask:
    what breed and gender are these chickens?
    1. caroline ( shown below ) has black skin and very small waddle and come turning a reddish color
    [​IMG]
    2.Bark ( aka stork or turkey ) this is a turkey sold to us as a chicken. what type of turkey?
    [​IMG]
    3.Creepy toes ( I think its a sultan because it has 5 toes )
    [​IMG]
    4.Blackie ( has a nice mowhawk )
    [​IMG]
    5.Belle The Rooster ( we know its a rooster because he crows. he is too small to be a leghorn )
    [​IMG]
    6. this is rusty. its doesn't get along well with belle
    [​IMG]

now I have another problem:
    my paint eater:
    [​IMG]

should I leave it be or do something? what should I do?
    and that's all! I hope you liked my turkey. he happens to be my dominate " chicken " in the younger flock. he doesn't attack them just a bit of showing off.

2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  3. commanderforts

Jun 3, 2014
    can someone help me with genders? im sorry my pics aren't good they run away from me if I get too close but I am hoping someone can help a little?

4. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    I think your cochin and silkie are probably roosters and of course your crower. But I can't see the other ones well enough to guess.

5. commanderforts

Jun 3, 2014
    i just got a few more pics to try out. sorry this is a new camera and i am having a bit of trouble figuring it out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i forgot to post this one O.O
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is a pic i took a couple of weeks ago with an old camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    its hard to get good pictures of blackie so i took a few:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my chickens love to eat the paint on the walls but i dont know if that is fine. and picked up the black chicken and thing it was slobering? just give me some advice

6. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  7. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    I can't give you advice on gender, but if that paint is older, lead-based stuff, you should try to keep them away from it. Chickens will peck at any loose paint (or at chips on the ground), and whatever lead they pick up can be passed on to their owners through their eggs/meat.
    We had originally planned to house our chickens in our big, old barn, but after doing some reading on lead paint (and knowing that we have lots of it loose in the barn), we decided to house them in a new outbuilding.
    Lead does exist in small amounts in soil everywhere, and I don't mean to be an alarmist, but it's something worth thinking about. Avoid it where you can, and all that [​IMG]
    I don't know what effect newer types of paint would have on chickens, but it probably is still a good idea to keep them away from it (or to cover it up) where they have access.
    Best of luck!

8. commanderforts

Jun 3, 2014
    does anyone know what the white one is? here are some more pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    about 12 wks old if im right. we got them during may. when we got him he was about the size of an iphone. people say he's too small for a leghorn. pretty much donimate rooster not counting the turkey as part of the flock

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  9. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I just realized you have 2 different red ones, the top pic in my second post an a male EE and the second pic is a red Cochin

10. commanderforts

Jun 3, 2014
    lol i left them with my sis and came back thinking he was one of the easter eggers i have

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by