the odd one out..

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
So it's been a few months since I have had Gabby and Zeke (Rouen and black runner)
Pippa and Louie (Swedish) who've I had just a couple weeks less than Gabby and Zeke

Gabby, Zeke and Pippa have all started to become even more comfortable with me, they have been coming to me for awhile now nibbling on me and such run to me when they hear me just to say hey or you got treats? but once they say hi they are off.
Yesterday was a break through and Gabby, Zeke and Pippa all ate Broccoli out of my hand for the firs time I would just hold it out with my fingers and they would take it. Zeke will sit inches from me (I sit on a low beach chair in their pen with them) and he will tuck his head under his feather and fall asleep, so they are pretty comfy.

Louie however is a different story, he does not prefer my company, he won't even walk by me to go to the pool, If i put treat down and I am squatting he will come over but still seems very skiddish, yesterday when he seen the other's eating treats from my hand he stayed away would not come over, I knew he wanted to get into the pool but i was sitting by the pool near the sandbag they use to get in the pool. I tried to sweet talk him, things like that. but nope, he actually went on the other side of the pool between the fence and pool and would just pop his head up to look at me, which was rather funny.
I tossed him some broccoli.

He also is the the devil to try to catch if I need to actually pick him up for some reason, he bobs and weaves.

I don't know he just seems like he is not interested in humans at all, which I understand any animal can be that way. (he is almost 3 months)

Today when I went out I always announce myself and they come running to the edge of the fence, I squat down and talk with them, so today we had thunderstorms pass through and the pen looked like a tornado hit it, I am like what happened, Zeke gabby and Pippa all come over to me and start quacking away like they were telling me, and Louie, not went and stood between the fence and the pool

:( kind of makes me sad thinking he might be sad. anyone else have a duck that just seems not interested?

Thanks

I think it depends on what kind of relationship you want with your animals. Some prefer a hands off approach and like to observe their ducks from afar. And some BYCERS on here are very hands on with them.

If you want to be hands off, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just throw him some treats his way.

My kids 4H poultry leader advises that the ducks they want to show at the fair be handled quite a bit. So when they are being shown and judged, they are comfortable with being touched. And ducks like routine. She has a specific hold for them that keeps them calm and still. We give them treats while they are being held and calm. And we don’t do it with every duck we have. But the same principle could apply here. And it won’t hurt or traumatize them. Let me know if you ever want to see the hold and I will send you a link.

But either way, I think your little fluffy butt is probably happy and healthy.

Does he socialize with the other ducks?

Yep very social with the other ducks and pretty much the chickens but he can do without them,
Yesterday when I was feeding broccoli the closest he would get was about 4 feet from me, he laid down, and he just annoyed if the chickens even brushed by him, nothing too terrible, just a hey back off not in the mood.

It has been so hot this summer and yesterday wasn't an exception so maybe like me humid hot weather makes him grumpy lol

I guess it's a wait and see thing

Thanks all

I think it depends on what kind of relationship you want with your animals. Some prefer a hands off approach and like to observe their ducks from afar. And some BYCERS on here are very hands on with them.

If you want to be hands off, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just throw him some treats his way.

My kids 4H poultry leader advises that the ducks they want to show at the fair be handled quite a bit. So when they are being shown and judged, they are comfortable with being touched. And ducks like routine. She has a specific hold for them that keeps them calm and still. We give them treats while they are being held and calm. And we don’t do it with every duck we have. But the same principle could apply here. And it won’t hurt or traumatize them. Let me know if you ever want to see the hold and I will send you a link.

But either way, I think your little fluffy butt is probably happy and healthy.

thanks
And my approach to anything if it's warm and fluffy I have to touch it pat it and squeeze it and name him George (sorry old looney toons reference LOL

But I am very hands on with my animals I want them to be comfortable around humans as I have 4 grandkids and one on the way. Plus after raising 5 kids and having them grown I want something to love and take care of.

I just know one day I am going to die trying to pat something I shouldn't of LOL

thanks
And my approach to anything if it's warm and fluffy I have to touch it pat it and squeeze it and name him George (sorry old looney toons reference LOL

But I am very hands on with my animals I want them to be comfortable around humans as I have 4 grandkids and one on the way. Plus after raising 5 kids and having them grown I want something to love and take care of.

I just know one day I am going to die trying to pat something I shouldn't of LOL
:lau

8DAAC3E1-2D6C-4AD0-AEC5-A3182D0888E5.png

I think it’s special when you find a duck that will let you pet it because most don’t. @onaharley do you still have a video of Ted falling asleep while he was soaking?:love

Back
Top Bottom