The "Official" Christmas Cookie Thread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by The Chicken Lady, Nov 28, 2008.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I did a search and couldn't find anything like this on BYC.

Please post your favorite cookie and/or icing recipe to share. [​IMG] I'm ready to bake!

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    the best recipe i have ever used is the one on the back of a bag of walmart brand sugar..i have never had them fall apart, and they taste wonderful.
    as for icing, i found a recipe on all recipes that is equally great. the icing hardens and becomes very glossy but still tastes good.

NGREDIENTS

* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
    * 2 teaspoons milk
    * 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
    * 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    * assorted food coloring

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
    2. Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    id like to find one I had years ago from a cookie club I belonged to. They were delicate lemon cookies. I think they were just butter, flour, sugar and lemon. But very little flour, you rolled them, refriderated them and sliced and baked. They were a wonderful flavor and a delicate cookie. I wish I could find it again.

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh noooooooo it's cookie season!!!! There goes my diet! [​IMG] I will go look through my cookie recipes!!

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have the most fabulous christmas cookie recipe, but its in my head (scary thought). You make rice krispie cookies, except instead of using rice krispies you use corn flakes, and not as many corn flakes. I think its like 3 cups corn flakes and a bag of marshmallows, with some butter. Melt the marshmallows and butter, add some green food coloring so the melted marshmallows are pretty green. Add the corn flakes, stir gently until the marshmallows cover all the corn flakes. Drop into little clumps onto a well greased (Pam works good) sheet. While still warm, add 2 or 3 cinnamon dots to each little clump...and voila!!!! you have perfect holly cookies.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  6. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    My favorite Chocolate Chip cookie recipe is still the one on the back of the Nestle's chocolate chip bag, except I love them with walnuts instead of pecans.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    This is the BEST recipe for sugar cookies [​IMG] I usually make them into drop cookies, but they make awesome rolled/shaped too.

2 cups flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 cup colored sugar for decoration
    3/4 cup butter

Preheat oven to 325. Combine the flour and salt. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well blended. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined (don't overdo). Make dough into a ball, sit in fridge for 1 hour to chill (I cheat and stick it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes until firm).

If you want some extra flavor, throw in a teaspoon of almond extract too. Yummy! We make them year round. See?

[​IMG]

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i LOVE homemade Christmas Oatmeal cookies ( with out the raisins)

i just have to learn how to make them..lol

9. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Is this it? I have made these are they are wonderful. First found the recipe on the Land O Lake box.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEMON MELTAWAYS

These lemon-flavored cookies are so tender that they seem to melt in your mouth.

Preparation time: 45 min Baking time: 8 min
    Yield: 4 dozen cookies

Cookie Ingredients:
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup LAND O LAKES[​IMG] Butter, softened
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel

Frosting Ingredients:
    3/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/4 cup LAND O LAKES[​IMG] Butter, softened
    1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine all cookie ingredients in large bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.

Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 8x1-inch log. Wrap each in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (1 to 2 hours).

Heat oven to 350°F. Cut each log into 1/4-inch slices with sharp knife. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until set. (Cookies will not brown.) Cool completely.

Combine all frosting ingredients in small bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until fluffy. Frost cooled cookies.

Recipe Tip
    Tips for successful Lemon Meltaways:

This cookie is a shortbread-type cookie with a high proportion of butter to flour and sugar. The dough may seem slightly more crumbly. Egg is not an ingredient in this type of cookie.

Be sure to measure all ingredients accurately using the proper measuring cups. For dry ingredients use graduated metal or plastic measuring cups. Spoon the dry ingredient lightly into a measuring cup. Do not tap or shake the cup or scoop the ingredient into the cup. Level off any excess amount by running a straight-edge or table knife across the top.

Use measuring spoons to measure liquids in this recipe rather than tableware spoons for accuracy.

The butter in this recipe should be softened, but not melted. For best results let butter stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before mixing the cookie dough. Or, cut the butter into chunks or pieces for easier mixing. Also, 3/4 cup butter equals 1 1/2 sticks of butter.

If the dough is dry and crumbly after beating, add 1 to 2 tablespoons cream or soft butter, adding 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    its not the same recipe I had but sounds close, I will have to try it. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by