1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"The official S n M Poultry mini coop"[Pics]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by S n M Poultry, Jan 17, 2008.

1. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    I was brain storming yesterday about building a new coop. I then rememberd that i had a rabbit hutch with a hole in the back for acsses to a nesting box from the back. I took the wood out of the hole and scooted the hutch up against my chicken tractor and traced the square of the hutch onto the back of the tractor. I cut the square out and and lined it up with the square on the hutch and what do you no...Ive cated a masterpice Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    This is the side view
    [​IMG]
    This is the frontal view. You can see the chick door that leads to the run.
    [​IMG]
    This is the view from the run. It leads into the hutch.

I still need to put a ramp but anyways tell me what you think. Also tell mt what i need to change if there is anything i need to change.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. S n M Poultry

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    [​IMG] BUMP [​IMG]

3. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    looks good . only thing i cant tell by the picture but is the door big enough.if it is looks good to me nice job being creative. [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Nice - yeah the door looks small - could jjust be the pic though!

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Good job Jeffrey, you should be proud and your chickens happy!!

6. S n M Poultry

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    The door is kinda small but its for moderns so it should be ok for now, Right?

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for posting this....I have a larger rabbit hutch just sitting here doing nuttin...............never thought of attaching a run........... cool........nice job ! I want some Moderns so bad !

8. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Way to be creative. Cool, cool, cool. [​IMG]

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I think you're actually onto something genius here!

I've always avoided tractors for the thought of trying to get the hens into it and then back into my main coop at night. Something detachable like this could really make that whole thing much easier....

The go into the movable "run" in the morning, you move it around, then at night before it gets dark you re-attach it back to the main coop and they instinctively go back to their favorite roosts!

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Good job!

If they can fit through the hole on their own, it's big enough, I'd think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by