The Oh-so neighbor!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by M.sue, Aug 22, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    We all have or had neighbors that we really don't care for. We are nice, polite, wave hello, yell "How ya doing" across the field when you see them, etc. They are the neighbors that no matter what you do they always seem to find something to nit-pic about. They are the ones who complement you but then in the very same sentence throw something negative in. You know the type. Well today while out in my garden, my oh-so neighbor strolls through his yard and over into mine to make small talk. When he is exiting back to his property my 19 wk. old Bantam Roo lets out one of his many cocka-doodle-doo's. I love the sound of a Rooster's crow, it brings back so many cherished memories for me. That is the one and main reason I decided to get chickens, well for the eggs too! Anyway, after my Roo lets out his famous crow I reply back "I hear ya guy, keep talking to me." The oh-so neighbor who was almost up to his house yells "Hey, I gotta ask you something." He walks all the way back over to the edge of my garden (there's a lot of land in between our homes). When he finally reaches the garden I reply " What is it that you need to ask me?" He then ever so kindly with a smile & a wave of his hand asks "Do you ever get sick of that?" "Sick of what?" I questioned and some what puzzled because I truly did not know what he was referring to. Then my Roo crows again. "That" the oh-so neighbor replies. I said "What, the crowing?" He says "yes do you ever get tired of hearing it?' My reply "Oh nooooo, I love the Rooster's crow. It was what I was raised with and cherish." The neighbor says "With that....crowing all the time". I said "That's nothing, my grandfather always had 2 or 3 Roosters, I think nothing of it and love the sound." My eyes lit up and I flashed a sincere smile with some deviousness hiding behind it that said......"Say something so nit-picky again and I'll go out and get two more to listen too!" He graciously walked back to his house and I continued smiling the whole time I finished picking my tomatoes because that is exactly what I'd do!! Come on people, you live in the country, it's rural farmland. If you don't like to hear Roosters crowing, cows mooing, ducks quacking, pigs oinking, horses neighing, tractors plowing, harvesters harvesting, kids yelling, etc.... MOVE BACK TO THE CITY!!! NO OFFENSE TO ANY "CITY" BYC MEMBER for I know you love chickens, ducks, turkeys or some sort of animal. The thought of another Roo is ohhh-sooo tempting!!!

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I figure if I can tolerate trying not to step on the neighbor's dog's land mines in MY yard, they can put up with the crowing.

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:LOL.....Same here, We had to deal with that too till their dog passd away! I do miss seeing the dog but not the crap!

4. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    I love my chickens but I have hens for a reason. I don't want to hear a roo crowing at 5am and I don't want to subject my neighbors to it either. Sounds like the Oh-so neighbor tried to mention that the crowing was disturbing them in the most diplomatic way possible. Out here if the neighbors complain about roos blasting off during bedtime hours it can cost you your whole flock. A roo blasting off at 5am is nothing like a cow, horse, or pig. Even in rural farm land neighbors should be respectful of each other. Living in the country does not mean that you have to wake up at all hours to a blasting roo. The op sounds like the Oh-so neighbor to me. I regularly hear cows, horses, donkeys, and roos but they are at a distance so it isn't disturbing.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I love the sound of a rooster's crow but also unfortunately live in the city. All of my immediate neighbours were consulted beforehand and had no problems with the chickens and even let me keep one for about 6 months until this new lot moved and and sent straight to te council before we could even meet. [​IMG] I suppose I was in the wrong, though I'd have been more than accomodating if they'd wanted to talk [​IMG]

6. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My chickens sleep on my back porch (why they dont use their coop is beyond me [​IMG]) and I dont ever hear them crow..
    What I worry for my neighbors is my goats.. But I figure with their dogs, we are pretty even

Maybe he was wondering about getting chickens for himself?

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Go girl! [​IMG] I can totally understand why roo's are not allowed in a neighborhood but don't move to the country if you don't want the country sounds!! [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:You know I've always wondered about this! My coop is about 35 ft form my house have had up to 9 roosters in there crowing and have never had one wake me up. I think some people have some serious insulation issues!!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:You know I've always wondered about this! My coop is about 35 ft form my house have had up to 9 roosters in there crowing and have never had one wake me up. I think some people have some serious insulation issues!!

Not going to take sides here. [​IMG]

Insulation may not be the issue though. I have very acute hearing, so I hear everything! And.... I have 7 roosters.

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    We live on the edge of a very small town and the rules on poultry are that the coop has to be at least 150 ft from any dwelling. But I know that if I had a roo out there and it blasted off at 5am the neighbor would complain and I would be told to get rid of the chickens. The idea of don't live here if you don't want to wake at all hours to crowing is ridiculous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by