The Oil Spill Isnt Hurting Florida Beaches The Media Is

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sugar Sand Farm, May 19, 2010.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have read on here about all the people who are upset about the oil spill killing the beaches and wildlife in Florida I even saw a post where someone said that the oil had gotten down to Key West. Its not true there has not been one drop of oil to wash up on any of the Florida beaches. They have proved the tar balls found in Key West has nothing to do with the spill. The media is in effect killing the tourist trade in Florida with all their talk to ruined beaches and cancellations. The people in FLorida have set up a website to show all you people that we are still open and the beaches are just as beautiful as before the spill. This might change as time goes on but for right now Florida is in the clear.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I hope it never reaches the Florida (or any) beaches! We love going to Santa Rosa Beach and Destin. The beaches and the water are beautiful! Our son was 4 the first time there, and the sand was so white he thought it was snow!

3. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    In the first "oil spill thread"--- I made a comment concerning the media coverage---- it was removed by a moderator.

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I'm so glad the tar balls where not from the spill. Thanks for letting me know. I'm still visiting Key West this summer, oil or no oil!

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm... you know the paranoid in me just reared right up and wondered...

How much is Cali paying for them to say all these things? I mean, to exaggerate and whatnot?

Read a bit that said IF it keeps up, and IF it his this particular channel then the oil COULD hit not only LA, MS, AL but also FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV... all up the Eastern Seaboard. So, I can just see Ol' Joe planning his summer vacation and saying "better safe than sorry" and booking in Cali instead of any of those states. What a boon to a state that's completely botched their budget to the point of bankruptcy no?

Yep, that's the inner paranoid... hopefully it's just all fluff and filler and it will be proven to be so that all those folks who depend on the sea for their living aren't destroyed.

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Yes, I've been hearing that tourism is suffering unneeded losses because the media is hyping the "destruction" and "damage" [​IMG]

I've been correcting folks when the subject comes up in conversation - but some are stubborn and insist "I heard it on the TV" [​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I heard on NPR that the tar balls in key West are not from this spill. They've never said anything about tar being washed on the the beaches- just that they are hoping it doesn't happen. That's really my only source of media. It is funded by educated people that expect the best in reporting.

There is so much chaos down there right now though- I think it can be expected that someone will have some misinformation at times.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well, I for one will be doing my part and will be spending a week on the Florida Gulf coast in about another week. I cannot wait!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by