the old 2 month silkie question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken-rooquacks, Oct 21, 2017.

1. chicken-rooquacks

chicken-rooquacks Chirping

Aug 18, 2017
    i need help sexing my silkie. i got him/her as a day-old chick. i'm guessing it was about 2 -3 months ago??? almost full grown in size, may still be growing in hackle feathers & tail feathers...? all my others were sexed as girls, and are other breeds. it is late enough on that i can tell the other breeds were sexed correctly. this one came un-sexed, and is my only silkie, so i have nothing to compare him/ her to. i have seen many helpful videos & pictures that distinguish very clearly for adult mature silkies. however, have found no such luck on comparison pictures for silkies this young.
    DSC_6046.JPG DSC_6047.JPG DSC_6048.JPG

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I have 4 I know they are tough to sex mine are hens let tag a friend here
    @Hinotori to look at yours

3. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    It's hard to sex silkies. They are slow maturing. Many you can't tell on until they are old enough to lay. Partridge is the only easy one and that is only because the sexes actually are different colors.

Looking at yours I don't see a big comb yet but it's still young for that. The tail has me guessing. I could go either way on the sex.

4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    I'm guessing pullet. I don't see a big comb, but it would be nice to have a clear close up of it. I'm mostly going off the crest. It has a nice rounded one, and no streamers slicked back, like a male.

5. chicken-rooquacks

Aug 18, 2017
    this is very helpful information! thank-you!

drumstick diva likes this.
  6. chicken-rooquacks

Aug 18, 2017
    very interesting about the comb...do silkie hens tend to grow their combs slower (and the males faster) as most breeds tend to?

7. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Yes and no. They aren't going to be as obvious at an early age. But yes, a rooster should get a bigger comb faster.

drumstick diva likes this.
  8. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Crowing

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    X2

My Silkies are taking forever to mature. It's normal though!

9. Arya28

Arya28 Songster

Apr 9, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Sometimes when there aren't very obvious signs for silkies, you just have to wait until that first crow or egg! I have a silkie that I (and everyone else) thought was a boy, right up until she laid an egg!

Kenny_, drumstick diva and Hinotori like this.
  10. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Ive had known cockerels with big pullet looking round crests. They stayed like that until they started getting streamers off the back around 5 months.

Kenny_, drumstick diva and Arya28 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: