The Old Folks Home

lovesfarms

Crowing
5 Years
Sep 6, 2016
My husband that just passed was one to save everything. We've been cleaning out his..stuff. My goodness..things found from back in the 60's! Plus, I found some things if mine that I swear I had thrown out. 😆 He saved bills paid and saved. Granted, some things were awesome to find. Cards from kids way back when. Pictures they drew. But out of those three filing cabinets, most was thrown out. Now in that Guard cabinet..things he kept in there from being in the National Guard! Found some badges, a lot of different kinds. Don't know what all they were for. Wish he had put them in something and written about them. And now, for those that haven't heard, we found money. Oh boy, did we find money. Glad he saved that. $26,000! He had told me that he was saving for a new driveway. Well, I used it on a new driveway, just the way he had shown me he wanted it done. Plus, the driving strip out front now has decorative rock, apple tree out front is down and rock put there. Two more apple trees down on the back. He so wanted those trees down. They were old, and the apples weren't very good anymore. One more thing I've done we talked about. A new bathroom floor. He had saved, then forgot about it probably years ago as his Alzheimer's started declining pretty quick once diagnosed. That sweet man, I used to get a bit aggravated at some of the things he would save. Yes, I threw most out, but oh man it was hard. It was my sweethearts way. Not in the house, but out in his shop. I sure miss him and his ways.
My husband that just passed was one to save everything. We've been cleaning out his..stuff. My goodness..things found from back in the 60's! Plus, I found some things of mine that I swear I had thrown out. 😆 He saved bills paid and saved. Granted, some things were awesome to find. Cards from kids way back when. Pictures they drew. But out of those three filing cabinets, most was thrown out. Now in that Guard cabinet..things he kept in there from being in the National Guard! Found some badges, a lot of different kinds. Don't know what all they were for. Wish he had put them in something and written about them. And now, for those that haven't heard, we found money. Oh boy, did we find money. Glad he saved that. $26,000! He had told me that he was saving for a new driveway. Well, I used it on a new driveway, just the way he had shown me he wanted it done. Plus, the driving strip out front now has decorative rock, apple tree out front is down and rock put there. Two more apple trees down on the back. He so wanted those trees down. They were old, and the apples weren't very good anymore. One more thing I've done we talked about. A new bathroom floor. He had saved, then forgot about it probably years ago as his Alzheimer's started declining pretty quick once diagnosed. That sweet man, I used to get a bit aggravated at some of the things he would save. Yes, I threw most out, but oh man it was hard. It was my sweethearts way. Not in the house, but out in his shop. I sure miss him and his ways.
Having a sound mind is something we cannot be thankful enough for. I'm thankful for a Mother who found it very important to teach us how to treat someone who is transitioning from a sound mind to advanced dementia. Patience, patience, patience and unconditional love. Her parents both had dementia. What mom taught me was the most valuable lesson when I worked at the retirement village.And the supervisor said I had to have been born that way because the residents with dementia responded to me in a positive way , and well- she had toast thrown in her face more then once! I wasn't born that way! 🤭

Beer can

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Upstate NY
Just an FYI... The vaccine doesn't keep you from getting covid.
Well aware. Vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting it spreading it or dying from it, just up's your chances.
Just was hopeful for better than that.
I know a few people that had it before the vaccine little older than me with some health probs I don't have yet that had no symptoms.
Not that I am bad off, just super tired and lots of sneezing and kinda head cold. Not much coughing that's what I was most worried about was coughing and lungs that's where it becomes big prob. So maybe I'll be alright pretty sure.

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
Having a sound mind is something we cannot be thankful enough for. I'm thankful for a Mother who found it very important to teach us how to treat someone who is transitioning from a sound mind to advanced dementia. Patience, patience, patience and unconditional love. Her parents both had dementia. What mom taught me was the most valuable lesson when I worked at the retirement village.And the supervisor said I had to have been born that way because the residents with dementia responded to me in a positive way , and well- she had toast thrown in her face more then once! I wasn't born that way! 🤭
I also worked in a home..an Assisted Living home. Yes, I had some with Alzheimer's Dementia. Little did I know. I loved, loved working with the old folks. Now I'm one. I'm blessed to have kids here to help. Glad to hear that you enjoyed working with them. My mother was not treated well in a nursing home. Bless her heart, we moved her just in time to pass with very loving and caring people attending to her.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
Well aware. Vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting it spreading it or dying from it, just up's your chances.
Just was hopeful for better than that.
I know a few people that had it before the vaccine little older than me with some health probs I don't have yet that had no symptoms.
Not that I am bad off, just super tired and lots of sneezing and kinda head cold. Not much coughing that's what I was most worried about was coughing and lungs that's where it becomes big prob. So maybe I'll be alright pretty sure.
Make sure you keep checking in with us.

I worry.

:oops:

Top Bottom