The Old Ladies Group *PICS* // RIP Ginger... Now Ivy's Gone

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jul 24, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are just trying to survive this brutal heatwave (which has been going for over a month now).

From left to right: Tux, who is 3; Ivy, who is close to passing on from internal laying, Ginger, and Lexie, both of them also suffering from the same ailment. Tux's sister, Olivia, is close to passing on, too, but she isn't pictured, nor is Reba or Sunny. Reba, my only remaining RIR, was on the nest. Ivy, Lexie, Reba, Ginger and Sunny are going on five years old now. Tux and Livvie are over three years old. Roosevelt, who was raised by Nugget, my youngest Buff Orp, is living with the elderly women at the moment. He is just 11 weeks old.
    Shadow, the tiny princess, and Nugget are over two years old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

***Ginger passed away just now. [​IMG]

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    I like Lexie!!!! [​IMG] Nice Pics. [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Look at those big yellow legs! Your chickens look quite happy despite the heat!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. Chicken1"

Chicken1" Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    what breed is Tux the black one x x x

5. speckledhen

Tux came from a Cochin/Silkie cross rooster and a Barred Rock hen. [​IMG]

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

That is a good picture of your old ladies, Cyn. Looks as though they are enjoying retirement (as much as they can). Yes, nice picture!

Who is in the second picture?

Good grief, Roosevelt looks like he could make the earth tremble if he came running! Oh, that reminds me... his sister, Polly, was standing between 2 Jersey Giant girls today ..... I only wish I had had my camera with me. She IS the same size! My JG girls are 10 months old, and still have another year of growing to do, but still .... [​IMG]

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] Everyone Looks Great [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Kathy, that is my lavender bantam Cochin, Shadow. She is a pint sized hen with a big attitude!

Thanks, Mark. I'm glad they're still with me, even if a few will be only for a short time longer.

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Those are some fine looking birds [​IMG] even if their time might be up [​IMG] My only RIR is named Reba too [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

I used to have several other RIRs. The two other hatchery RIRs died awhile back, Ruby and Rosemary. I sold my breeder RIRs to pumpkinpup for a project of hers, so Reba is my only RIR now. She is sort of named after my Aunt Reba and Reba McIntire combined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by