The one time I mow....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Ninjasquirrel, May 24, 2019.

1. Yes but it was an accident

90.9%
  2. Yes and I did it on purpose so I wouldn't have to do it again

9.1%
  3. Yes but I'm a winner and everything turns to gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No I only help myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    ...and I completely fudge it up. :barnie
    My SO was going to be working late and it was going to rain for the next 3 days. So being the sweet and loving woman I am I said to him:
    "Don't worry, hun. I'll mow the lawn. That way when you get home you can relax"
    So....I put on my hearing protection and mowed the front and the back yard. Although...I accidentally hit a root that was sticking out of the ground. I was immediately thinking:
    "Oh no. Please tell me I did not just break something!"
    I didn't notice any strange sounds and the mower was still running. So I sighed and said: "I'll just have to tell him when he gets home".

Before I even had the chance to tell him...he already noticed the stump. He asked about the mower and if it was running ok to which I said:
    "I didn't notice anything and it was still running but you might want to take a look at it."
    "No, no." He said, " if you think its fine I believe you."

Insert foot in mouth. Yesterday he went to mow...and immediately noticed a sound that I did not. Then again he uses earplugs and not the expensive earmuffs I use. He stopped mowing and said he had to rebalance the blades...

...only...the blades were bent. And pieces were missing.

I'm not allowed to mow anymore. :hitHe's not mad because he knows it was an accident but he said since he's the one doing the maintenance on it he'd prefer I did not mow. I feel terrible because I was just trying to do something nice and I completely screwed it up. How does that even happen? :thHow does a blade just bend and fall apart like that? :barnie

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    I just want to say I've been there. We have a zero turn riding mower and I can be a bit reckless so my husband gets on my case. I love your poll options lol.

Raenh, Taj_MaChicken and 5hens&aroo like this.
  3. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    We just have a standard craftsman rider. He said he's run over that root before because its hard to see. But now he knows its there and avoids it. I didnt. Would have been nice to know. I know now!

4. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    You are a dang genius... if I could get out of mowing by hitting a root/stump you’d just see a swath of mowed grass leading up to the closest root/stump and a smoking wreck of a lawnmower at the end of that swath :lau

5. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    I didnt want to get out of mowing! I like mowing! I'm just accident prone :confused:

SunHwaKwon and OhZark Biddies like this.
  6. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    Oh and I'm not completely off the hook...he said I can PUSHMOW. Nope. Too fat for that:lau

7. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    I have some old barbed wire wrapped up on my brushhog blade right now from Monday, that I need to address tomorrow... it’s a pain to hit stuff but it happens....

I personally would rather do just about anything but ride a lawnmower or tractor... so I cannot relate to you on this desire to mow... lol

Btw, the rule at my house is if my wife tears something up, she fixes it... I’ll help, but she’s doing it...

... she knows how to install a garbage disposal among other things now... she’s actually getting pretty handy ;)

Trimurtisan and SunHwaKwon like this.
  8. Bamabexchicks

Bamabexchicks Crossing the Road

Oct 30, 2018
    East central Alabama
    I had some big roots and rocks in a yard where I used to rent. I got a can of white spray paint and sprayed the obstacles white and never hit them once. Blaze orange works too.

Ninjasquirrel and OhZark Biddies like this.
  9. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    Heres the stump:
    20190524_154453.jpg I dont know whats damaged worse...it or my pride.

10. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Yup, was weedwhacking for my dad and got the strawberry netting hopelessly tangled around the head. Had to use a pocketknife for a while to get that one out :oops:

Trimurtisan and OhZark Biddies like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: