The opposite of henny-feathered- I want to breed roo-feathered hens!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

It has been on my mind for a while. Maybe a year. I have shared this interest with a few other like minded people, but I can't find any real info on it. I want hens with pointy, shiny feathers! I admit I am an avid crafterI want more colors of roosters than I could possibly deal with (my poor hens would hate me!) but if HENS came in roo morphs... think of the possibilities! Crafters would love them. People who can't have roos would love them. Collectors of strange breeds would love them.
    Why don't they exist yet?
    I saw some one mention roo-feathered hens on this forum before, and say it was 'hard to get rid of'. This gives me hope... if I could find a few roo-feathered hens, or even roo's related to them... I could get a small breeding flock and see if I can't bring it out. I know it will probably end up like frizzle and blue where it isn't always gonna happen even under ideal circumstances, but it would be worth it!

So now I have decided to begin planning this adventure. I know i have a lot of learning to do, a lot of work. And the hardest part- getting my breeding stock. I have no idea where to look for roo-feathered hens.

If anyone has one -or more!- I would greatly appreciate anything you could tell me about it. I want to know what breeds are most likely to go this way, what colors they are, what their offspring are like (and of course I would like to buy some!)

Any tips or info would be helpful. I would also appreciate encouragement if you also think this breed should exist. My hope is to find good egg-layers who can look like roos so folks with small backyard flocks in the city can at least pretend to have roos.

So...anyone know where I can find cross-dressing hens?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Never heard of cock-feathered hens honestly, the Hennie feathering gene has something to do with some type of mutation and the female hormones (I forgot, but read about it the other day). Usually when a hen develops cock feathers it is due to a ovary shutting down and they usually after that are infertile and never lay an egg again. So they wouldn't be breed-able and wouldn't pass along the traits.

ETA: But, I will say I don't know a lot on chicken genetics other than how to breed them and what I could expect out of the cross color/type wise etc. And hen-feathered birds and such aren't something I've messed around with so I haven't really learned a whole lot on them. There are more people knowledgeable on the subject, so hopefully the bump will help ya and they can correct me.

-Daniel

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Yeah, I don't know much about it either, but if the seabrights exist, why can't my dream chicken?
    I have no set timeline, this is just something I want to try to do if the opportunity ever arises. But I figure if I put it out there now, I increase my chances of finding someone with roo-feathered hens.

4. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I can tell you a little about it. Very little. But it is a start. In fact a lot of people in the longtail chickens see this, maybe in these birds you see it more than in regular chickens. But breeders usually go away from them, and with good reason. You asked the question in fact, why does a breed like this not exist.
    I think (and many others think) that the reason for this is simple. Hens with rooster feathering are like that because of hormonal imbalances. Not like henny feathered roosters. And those hens lay very few eggs. Hens that lay very few eggs do not produce many offspring.
    Good luck!

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Why not just get a batch of roos, raise them for meat and then keep the feathers? I have 15 four weeks old roos right now and that is their purpose.

6. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Why not just get a batch of roos, raise them for meat and then keep the feathers? I have 15 four weeks old roos right now and that is their purpose.

???????????????​

7. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:???????????????

What's the question? I bought large, dual purpose roos to raise for meat. When they are large enough I'll butcher them and then use/sell the feathers. My dogs will get the bones in the ones we debone, so the whole bird gets used.

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    What's the question? I bought large, dual purpose roos to raise for meat. When they are large enough I'll butcher them and then use/sell the feathers. My dogs will get the bones in the ones we debone, so the whole bird gets used.

I just didnt know what it had to do with the original question. Why should she go buy roos when she wants a hen that looks like a roo?​

9. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:I just didnt know what it had to do with the original question. Why should she go buy roos when she wants a hen that looks like a roo?

Actually, she was looking for pretty feathers for crafting in PART of the post, so I thought this a viable solution to that issue [​IMG]

10. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Most of my birds ARE dual purpose and I save the feathers from all the surplus roos who go into the freezer. I just thought it could be cool if ALL the chicken could be as pretty as some of the roos are. I mean as nice as it is to have all the feathers from one roo in a box, it is also nice to see roos walking around the yard. Since my BLRW died, my only roo is black. I am hoping one of my BLRW chicks will replace him, but then I am at my rooster quota. I cant have a silver laced, a partridge, a blue, a barred, a speckled.....I want chickens in every color they come in... and some colors are just impossible to find in hens. I want them as yard decor and productive flock members as well as feather donors.
    I thought it could be cool to have a bred where all of them are as showy as roosters of other breeds. Maybe its possible... but it sounds like I am going to need someone more knowledgeable about genetics to assist me in this. Oh, well. It isn't like I needed another project anyway. I am really only legally allowed 24 chickens anyhow. Not that anyone is likely to count them.
    Thanks everyone for sharing what you know. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I believe there has to be a way to make it work without sacrificing egg production. But i think I am not the right person to figure it out. Maybe someone smarter than me will perfect it... and sell me chickens. I can always hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by