The other feed says I should post here.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by totribet, Aug 13, 2011.

1. totribet

totribet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    I posted a pic because I think this chick has gotta be a Roo instead of the hen I thought I bought. And the general consensus is that I should post here and see what y'all think this breed is? I bought them as buff orphingtons, but they do not look like what I think from reading they should look like.....on the other feed they seem to think they are Cornish and not going to live long. So....what do ya think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a Cornish X meat bird, unfortunately.

3. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Not Buff orps for sure, get the stew pot ready, or find someone who can do the deed for you. I think you have Cornish X too.

4. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    ya DEF not orpington. I agree meat birds, often when you buy meat birds they are unsexed cause your gonna eat 'em

5. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2.... Definately not Orpingtons. Cornish crosses are meant for processing at fairly early ages,otherwise they begin to cripple.

6. totribet

totribet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Did you buy from a private breeder, someone you have recourse with? With feed stores you're just up a creek, as a rule, but a private breeder should honor their sale. If they don't, plaster their name and info on your local craigslist!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by