1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Pallet Hawk Shelter and The Tin A-Frame Hawk Shelter

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickensAreSweet, May 15, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Here is one of my pallet hawk shelters (I have it currently set up in a pen with overhead netting, but thought someone might be able to use the idea on range):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another one:
    [​IMG]

Here is a simple one- I have some of these scattered in the pen with no netting overhead, too.
    [​IMG]

This would also probably be a good one if I had it in the pen with no overhead netting (I used to have one set up like this but with feeders under it instead of a pallet.)
    [​IMG]

Here is The Tin A-Frame Hawk Shelter:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone else have pictures of their hawk range shelters (even if they aren't pallets)?

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    Good ideas. I am building a 30x30 pen now and am going to put up some small covers for overhead protection. Thanks for the good ideas.

Is there a reason they are all low to the ground? Is it less protection if they have more head room?

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'm skeptical. I had a hawk actually get in the coop trying to kill chickens. These would certainly slow them down though. Maybe mine was just extra hungry.

4. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:Me to, coopers hawk got right into my run under the netting and went on a killing spree......but I do like these ideas of little shelters in the run, my poor babies went in their coop and he killed them in there [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I have noticed that when my chickens flee from the eagles and hawks overhead, they go for the lowest, smallest hole they can find. (That is why I like them low to the ground.)

Bengalcats1 and galanie:
    Thanks for the warnings. I did cover this entire large garden area with bird netting (no small endeavor [​IMG] ) last summer. But it won't carry a snow load, and so I took it down in the fall.

I am just trying to give my girls ANYTHING they can use to keep safe from the hawks. One time when I was free ranging them, an owl swooped and almost got one of my girls. She is alive because she dived under a tree in the underbrush.

They would be toast on a daily basis without their hawk shelters. We usually have a hawk or eagle in the sky overhead. I can attest that while I will probably have some losses from hawks (none yet thank God!), the shelters do help a great deal.

You both are correct that if you get a determined hawk, there is little you can do. I am planning to make my girls all reside in the side yard covered pen for a while if this happens.

They have survived all winter and spring thus far without losses, but it is only a matter of time, I admit, before I get a determined hawk.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  6. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I plan on picking up some pallets, you are right , the more you have for them to hide under the better, I started putting a pile of branches in the center of their run, my run was pretty empty

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens had underbrush for hiding, but it did not save them.

I thought I was prepared to lose some. Not so.

8. ChickensAreSweet

Chicken.Lytle :

My chickens had underbrush for hiding, but it did not save them.

I thought I was prepared to lose some. Not so.

I am sorry for your losses. Hardware cloth all around is the only surefire way to keep them safe, for sure.​

9. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Yikes! Frightening.

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am sorry for your losses. Hardware cloth all around is the only surefire way to keep them safe, for sure.

Currently working on a new coop. It will have full coverage with hardware cloth. The main run has poultry netting, which has been effective so far.

I am definitely going to set up pallet shelters and poultry netting if/when I let them range again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by