The peanuts are gone!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by luvmychicknkids, Feb 24, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] OH YEAH!!! I posted 9 little 2 week old packing peanuts on freecycle tonight! Within 5 minutes of my offer posting I had a call!!! Very nice man with two boys wanting some chicks to raise for FFA!!!! I was just so happy it was THAT easy I had to brag!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    oh wow, that's very interesting.[​IMG] good for you

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That's great! Were they roos, pullets or undecided?

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, they are SUPPOSED to all be roos. There were a couple I thought had the potential to be female but decided to just get rid of all of them. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG]

After today's hatch, I might need to rehome some roos. You did great, hope you'll send some of it this way!

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL I have had great luck with getting more female than male when hatching so far.....I hope it continues with the ones in the bator now!!! Maybe I just need to send pullet vibes to those new chicks of yours!!! [​IMG]

7. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I did the same thing with my packing peanuts too. I posted an ad on CL saying free and had lots of emails. I was able to sell them for a little bit. That seemed to smooth over DH some. That second time I had 16 ([​IMG]) peanuts and was able to sell them to where I broke even on the chicks I did buy. It was as if I got my chicks for free! I told the couple that they were more than likely roos and the hubby quickly told me they didnt care! They were going to..umm 'invite them for dinner' if they were. He said it was still cheaper than buying from the store, plus he knew what was going in them.

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    It's cool you were actually able to sell yours!!!! Yeah, I made sure and told them they were most likely all boys and that I am fine with them taking them for food as long as they treat them right. [​IMG] Would love to have raised them for us to eat but those beautiful little red fluffy faces......*sigh*

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    All the freecycle groups I look at in my area are geared toward recycling old items and many specifically say no pets. I put my chicks up on craigslist this afternoon and am emailing back and forth with someone now. Craigslist also doesn't always allow animal posts or giving away animals free. The livestock section you can get away with it more than posting to the pet sections even if your chickens are pets. It's kind of hard to find good places online to give away chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by