The pecking order

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MargoBarbara, Jan 19, 2015.

1. MargoBarbara

MargoBarbara Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    We are really seeing this now-the black hen who just showed up is starting to act up and this morning I was woken up by squawking in the hen house-she is picking on one of the original flock. I let them out in the enclosure and it looks like she drew a little bit of blood. No open wounds though. LBH (little black hen) proceeded to chase Barbara around the yard a bit today and I still could hear some more noises, however, Barbara was still eating and drinking and grooming. I found her tonight not in the pen with the others but tucked in by the back door, so I put her in the dog kennel for the night. I think she is upset, not ill but has decided to isolate herself because LBH probably wouldn't let her in the coop. Is this normal to self isolate?
    Thanks, MB

PS If I wanted to open a thread in other parts of the forum , how do I do this?

2. She's new? Did you quarentine her?
    If this doesn't stop, isolate her. It sounds like the pecking order is just turbulent right now and will resolve itself soon.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think little black hen needs to have down time in a crate so she can see the others and they can see her but, she can't attack anyone. After a week or so she may not think she is no. 1 . When she returns to the flock- if she starts up again - get her pinless peepers. If she persists, you have to decide if you want to rehome her, or Barbara to bring peace. Personally I thin if Barbara wasn't there, LBH would just attack another bird. Maybe that is why she was a stray - she may have gotten dumped out, for behavioral problems.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with Drumstick Diva.

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. MargoBarbara

MargoBarbara Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    Yes, we did isolate LBH for about 5 days. This morning Barbara is none the worse for wear for spending the night solo. Good advice for LBH, I agree about her behaviour; she'd just find another bird to peck. So we'll watch the situation and go from there. Thanks, all

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by