The Pecking!!!

aghiowa

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
Hi all! So about 2 1/2 weeks ago, a dog bit up the back end of my cochin. She is now healing beautifully, her feathers are growing back in etc. Just about everything has scabbed over, dried up, and the scabs have mostly all fallen off.

I have her covered in a homemade drape thing, to keep her from pecking herself constantly. But, now that her tail feathers are coming in, they are going crooked because the drape is pushing them down. This wouldn't really be a concern of mine,except that I did buy her to show, so if she ends up healing well enough, I want her to be feathered out right.

At what point can I uncover her? I expect some preening activities, because I'm sure all that growth is itchy. I just don't want her to obsessively peck her injuries open or anything. She's in a large dog crate in my bathroom and we've been giving her things like alfalfa cubes to keep her occupied and maybe keep her mind off the pecking. Right now, she pecks through the cape, and has managed to break some new feathers in the process.

Ideas?

Angela

I'd uncover her immediately and just observe her. She actually needs to preen so that the feathers come in properly. It would be very unlikely that she would self mutilate unles she is of an obsessive personality.

Will do! I also think she is getting ready to lay for the first time. She really needs to be out with the rest of the ladies, but I don't want them seeing bare skin and going for it...

Angela

Back
Top Bottom