1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The peeps are here!!!! My first batch of chicks!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mudhen, Feb 19, 2007.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    :eek: Just got a call from the post office, the chicks are there and they put them in the supervisor's office to keep them warm!!
    I'm so nervous, this is my first time with chicks. Had to get 25 from McMurray's, so have two brooders ready (the litter box kind-one I bought, one I made) so they won't be to crowded. They're set up in the guest room...this is my husband's face> :mad:
    Did I mention I'm a little nervous? Temps are holding at only 90 degrees with the 75 watt light so I'm picking up some 100 watters on my way there. It's still cold out so I'm taking my hot/cold cooler (set on warm) lined with a blanket to keep them warm on the trip home.
    As I write this,...could it be? One of my cats was just pawing at the UFO incubator on my desk...maybe she hears something? I don't, but wouldn't it be amazing that since I had almost given up hatching my own and got this batch of day-olds that the eggs actually hatch!
    My hands are shaking!! This is so silly!![​IMG]
    Just had to post... I'm on my way to get the little peeps now... [​IMG]

P.S. No, don't worry, UFO top is taped down and they can't get to the eggs, and guest room door is closed so they can't get in there either. All peeps (the arriving ones and possible hatchs will be safe!)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Wow! I can only imagine how you feel. So exciting! Please post pics! [​IMG]

3. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I am so grateful! [​IMG] All 25 are alive! The people at the Martinsburg, WV, post office are wonderful!! They had immediately put the chicks in the warm supervisors office.
    I have to admit, when I opened the box to transfer them into the heated cooler, the peeps seemed very cozy. Box was line with styrofoam on the sides and bottom with a layer of staw.

I put them in the electric cooler for the ride home (85 degrees and toasty), here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

These are the brooders:
    [​IMG]

and here are some of the peeps:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm off to figure out who's who:
    I know the buff orpingtons, and I think the brown mice are the partridge rocks, but I have to figure how to tell the differences between the araucanas, black australorps, and barred rocks, since the pictures on FeatherSite are so similar to me. Plus, some of mine look more like chipmunk markings...!

4. Foghorn

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi mudhen!
    They look great! You have got to be so happy! It makes me sad to see them only because mine should also be with me. I ordered almost the same as you. All but the araucanas. I checked your temps compared to mine and we were only about 10 degrees or so difference.
    McMurray was very understanding and will ship me a new order. They are very nice to work with.
    I hope you enjoy the little guys and please keep us posted with pics. Did you not want the free exotic chick? Also, did you order a cockerel?
    Thanks for posting the pics!

-Eric

5. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

They so chute!

6. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Mudhen,
    I'm so happy your chicks arrived safely! They're too cute, it's hard not to place an order of my own right now. I've decided not to get more chicks untill I have more room......Oh so hard..... I have to step away form the computer now before I place a hatchey order. Have fun with your chickies! [​IMG] Jen

7. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I have to step away form the computer now before I place a hatchey order.

That's what happened to me, just didn't get away soon enough! [​IMG]

Foghorn, I know how you must feel. You had a terrible let-down. I'm glad McMurray is so good to work with.
    I was sooo worried when I picked them up cuz I had read your post just as I was about to go. I didn't hear a thing when I was trying to open the package and I was ready to cry expecting the same fate you had.
    I declined the exotic because I really didn't want this many to start with. I originaly wanted only about six to eight hens. I will have to find homes for half these girls because I will keep only 10 ( two of each type).
    Right now, one of the black chicks, either an australorp or barred rock, I can't tell one from the other yet, is a little lethargic.
    I was supposed to get some green slime stuff but it didn't come with them so I hope they'll do alright with the chick starter and sugar water. When we thaw out a bit, I may try to find a bit of sod for them to play with, but for now everything green is under 6" of ice. [​IMG]

8. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I think I've got it!
    The chipmunks are the araucanas.
    White smudge on top of head = barred rock.
    And white eyebrow/white around eye area = black australorp.

Of course, the brown fuzzies are the partidge rocks
    and the yellow fuzzies = buff orpingtons.

I swear they all look bigger too. I'm not sure those brooders are big enough....

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  9. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    They are gorgeous!!!! I'm so jealous and I can't wait to get mine!!!![​IMG]

10. Foghorn

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hey mudhen,
    Are you sure they didn't pack the "green slime" stuff underneath the chicks? They will place items sometimes under that excelsior stuff.

-Eric

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by