1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The people who play music at the mall

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by whiteflare, Jul 5, 2011.

1. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    You know, the ones who stand by the side of the mall and play the violin, or the piano, or the trumpet, or they sing, and have a case that you put money into.

I used to give money, but then I felt bad only putting 5c or 10c in. What does one usually give such people? Some of them are pretty talented and people stand around to watch, others just get ignored, and I feel kinda bad for them.

And there's also the peeps who sell those magazines on street corners, you hear things about them being really nice people just struggling to earn a bit of money, but I can never find the nerve to go up to them!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Don't feel bad about putting 5 or 10c in, it all adds up. And if you feel good about it, that a good thing.

Around here I mostly see people begging, from motorists, on street corners, just standing there with a cardboard sign saying "anything helps, god bless". It's only been in the last couple years. It is sad that so many are needful.

If I go into Seattle there are licensed street musicians and other performers. I usually fill my pockets with change for them.

Imp

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    we don't have people like that here

they just stand at the street corners of the busy intersections with a sign. I used to give a dollar or two but several people have been arrested lately for doing that. Some of these people actually are not homeless and make more money a day than people that work.

Our local newspaper interviewed a person that did it for a week just to see how much he could make...he averaged $150-200 a day! crazy!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My son and his friends do that for gas money. He is 21 and they are all part of a band so they are pretty danged good. Even throwing in spare change, they can get as little as $20 in an hour or as much as $120. It helps - they are all full time students and not working, and I find it a creative way to get gas money. After all, people don't HAVE to add to the kitty.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    We have a hippee bongo guy. He's actually quite good and has some crazy complicated poly rhythms, durning harvests he works as a picker on the off days he plays for cash. Usually a dollar or two, and since we see him in front of a store that has pet food, a bone for his dog.

6. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    There is a guy down near where I work. Vietnam vet who is homeless. I take him a coupon for lunch every day and we bring him a bag of dog food for his dog when he's low. Otherwise, I give pocket change.

7. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Oh, it's great hearing all these stories! [​IMG]

Most of the people that play are teens with a passion for music (things get jovial down here at Christmas with the carols! [​IMG]), but I see kids too (one is maybe four or five, she is playing at the mall for days at a time, which is pretty worrying to us [​IMG]) and also people who just bash out some notes on a glockenspiel and don't seem to be able to play, or can't afford a better instrument.

Barefoot: I heard about arrests in the UK, there are more and more fakers these days, it seems [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:My son fits in the first category. They need the gas money to get around to play at different venues, in order to get paid more. It's doing something they all love.

9. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:My son fits in the first category. They need the gas money to get around to play at different venues, in order to get paid more. It's doing something they all love.

Well, you make sure you tell him he's doing a fantastic job, I love hearing a bit of music in the streets when I'm shopping [​IMG]

Sounds like a fantastic life, but I would never have the guts [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by