The perfect Backyard Bird?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lkellogg, Nov 19, 2013.

1. lkellogg

lkellogg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    Windsor, Colorado
    So we have started a Backyard Farm and we have 12 birds so far all of them in my mind are great breeds but I was wondering what everyone else thought and maybe if they could give some insight on their favorites. We are looking for attractive well producing birds that are good in an in town area. Please Please let me know what you think!! thankyou

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For a calm bird I love Jersey Giants and they come in Black, White and Blue. I've had all three varieties. They're gentle to other birds, lay well and are quite meaty when the time comes.
    Other people will have their favorites. I like a bird that can fend for itself so I have others I like as well.
    Anconas and Jaerhons are nicely colored, very hardy, wary and lay a lot of white eggs and would probably do fine in CO. They do well in MO.
    Welsummers are great too, very dark eggs and cold hardy. I did lose one to the heat a couple years ago.

3. cherylmad

cherylmad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    Windsor, Colorado
    I really love my Brahma ( Devlynn). We got her at about a week old. I think she was a dog in a past life. She thinks my dog Daisy is her mother. I thought about reading her the book " I'm not your Mother." Devlynn meets me at the gate evey morning with a song. She is very vocal.I love all our hens but Devlynn is my favorite.

4. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    The Langshan is really the perfect breed for almost any situation. Very very hardy. Beautiful and huge. Good layers of a brown egg, decent size for eating too. For a white egg layer I'd look at any of the Mediterranean breeds (Leghorn, minocra, Andalusian, Ancona, Buttercup, Spanish, Catalana), great feed to egg ratio.

And of course highly endorse purchasing from a breeder, rather than a hatchery, the odds of getting a long lived healthy chicken that matches it's breed personality (and looks) is much higher.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Have you ever gotten dark eggs from a Langshan?

6. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA

Not like Marans dark. They're just a brown egg layer of different shades. The breed is not defined by its egg color.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure you know more about them than I do but I thought they were originally known for a dark colored egg. I know the Croad Langshans in GB are supposed to be almost a dark plum.
    Barnevelder eggs were quite dark at one time and I think that got bred out of most lines. There is still at least one line in OK that has really dark Barny eggs.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    This is a misconception and false info. I won't derail this thread anymore with it, but not only are our Langshans and Croad Langshans the exact same, the dark plum thing is a misconception and myth. I'd be happy to discuss the breed anytime, but don't want to take over a non-related thread with it.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for that.

10. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

We have three Gold Laced Barnvelders and yes the eggs are tinted and not Brown at all
    I was surprised until I read a few months ago that back breeding may have been the cause

As for Brown here you go :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by