The perfect coop - One that will keep out all predators!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mudstar4ever, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Mudstar4ever

Mudstar4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Now I know there's never going to be "the perfect coop", but as predator-proof as humanly possible is what I'm looking for! Pictures and ideas of your coops would be awesome and I'm going to list some predators that are in my area, (pretty much all of them), and then if you could explain to me how this particular coop keeps this particular predator out that would be great. I'm trying to convince my subborn mother, and myself, that our chickens will never be lost again. We've given up for two years, but I want to give it another shot. Will someone please help me?

Raccoon
    Mink
    Opossum
    Rats
    Weasel
    Mountain Lion/Cougar
    Wolf
    Bear
    Coyote
    Fox
    Hawk/Falcon
    Owl
    Skunk
    Dog
    Snake
    Bobcat/Lynx
    Cats

(And any others you can think of)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Come along with me Mudstar I am doing the EXACT same thing.........right now out of what I can find and what I have on hand and making it BIG as well. I have a thread going on Coop & run construction about BIG RUNs have a look people are posting some new pics on there not in the byc sections and it is really helping and giving us ideas.!!!! [​IMG]

3. Mudstar4ever

Mudstar4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Thanks, I appreciate it! [​IMG]

4. BradBentonHB

BradBentonHB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Holden Beach, NC
    you didnt list predators but when i built my coop i kept them in mind also being able to clean and maintain it... I Framed it with all treated lumber and off the ground about 15 inches the floor was done with 1/8 inch poutry wire and 1/4 in the walls the door was done with 90% solid wood and a small window in it with chicken wire over it the door closes into the frame againt a 2x6 frame (overkill i know but i had it around a 2x4 would be big aplenty so it cant be caved in by Coyotes or anything of size, the roof was done out of curved plywood as to sheild water and falling debris , there are no open areas to speak of but Off the side i made a nestbox/brooder type of deal 2.5ft, by 50 inches seperated into 12X10 boxes this part has alot of plywood with only little Wire for ventalation as i was trying to keep heat in for bities I Have two lights installed on a dusk to dawn sensor and in the winter i just bypass the sensor its on 16 inch centers all the way around behind the poultry wire to strenthen it more I have never had anything get in it Including Snakes (Knock on wood ) after two years the total size is 10x12 ft to allow some roaming I have started a run for them I have dug out an area 16x12 5-6inches deep and laid 1/8 inch aluminum poultry Wire and filled it in and dug my poles but havnt got further than that yet but it too will be predator proofed (I Hope) as i plan a Roof of regular chicken wire with Shrimping netting covering that on a pitch high enough not to hold leaves and other debris

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    In this case, you need
    1 Concrete slap for floor
    2- Concrete footers around the Run
    3- Heavey Duty Welded wire for windows
    4- Steel Doors
    5- Steel roof
    6- And walls need to be Blocks.

LOL will Cost you $$$$$

6. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG]

7. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:We did almost that for relatively cheap, in the context of another project of reroofing an old barn. Plus adding concept of multiple layers of security. We framed out a corner of the existing barn, about 8x10, poured new concrete slab for that floor ourselves, found cheap sheet metal pieces (sofit) in bargain bin at Menards and used it to line coop walls, used double layers of hardware cloth inside and out over all ventilation areas, found recycled (free) heavy exterior doors, one steel not sure about other... already had the metal for a new sheet metal roof and it was too 4 ft. too long so bumped out two sides building for new covered run for coop area (run TBD). Plan covered run sides to be fully covered with hardware cloth with apron. Outside of that will have two additional much larger lower security [!] grassed runs to rotate between, just welded wire, but with 2-3 strands electric fence to try to back off predators and daytime dogs at the outer layer. Already have the electric setup for horses.

In our case, we tried to find a way to leverage what we had, scout for bargain or free components, and add tons of "free" labor. Some things are just darned expensive it seems, like the hardware cloth and welded wire fence.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Where do you live? Maybe you should ask this on where am i & where are you & see how the locals are building their coops. We don't do bears & lions where I live.

9. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    I laughed when I read Wolf, Mountain Lion and Bear.
    What are you building, a bunker?
    Keeping out foxes and badgers and stray dogs is relatively easy, but bears? There comes a point when the cost becomes too prohibitive. Sturdy walls and a concrete slab floor, welded wire buried 16" around the run and strong hinges and latches should keep out most predators. Beyond that, the cost simply is not worth it. How much are you willing to spend on a coop that will give you at most a half dozen eggs a day? A dozen? I think anything over a few hundred isn't worth it.

10. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:We did almost that for relatively cheap, in the context of another project of reroofing an old barn. Plus adding concept of multiple layers of security. We framed out a corner of the existing barn, about 8x10, poured new concrete slab for that floor ourselves, found cheap sheet metal pieces (sofit) in bargain bin at Menards and used it to line coop walls, used double layers of hardware cloth inside and out over all ventilation areas, found recycled (free) heavy exterior doors, one steel not sure about other... already had the metal for a new sheet metal roof and it was too 4 ft. too long so bumped out two sides building for new covered run for coop area (run TBD). Plan covered run sides to be fully covered with hardware cloth with apron. Outside of that will have two additional much larger lower security [!] grassed runs to rotate between, just welded wire, but with 2-3 strands electric fence to try to back off predators and daytime dogs at the outer layer. Already have the electric setup for horses.

In our case, we tried to find a way to leverage what we had, scout for bargain or free components, and add tons of "free" labor. Some things are just darned expensive it seems, like the hardware cloth and welded wire fence.

congrats on that fortress of a setup! i wish your chickens could know how lucky they are [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by