The Perfect Light Bulb

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joebryant, Jan 16, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I think that I just found the perfect light bulb to heat my two 4x8 coops. http://store.houseofpets.us/643854823441.html
    Right
    now in minus 10*F outside temps, similar bulbs that are 60 watt are keeping the coops above 0*. I think 150 watt ones like in the URL will keep the temps above 15*F no matter what. I'm going to order two of them, but first I'm going to call the local pet store to be sure that I can't save shipping costs.

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have one that is 75 watts and is blue. Works good.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I just called my local Specks pet store, and they have the 150 watt black reptile light for $6.49. Gotta go; she's holding them for me.

4. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    Can someone tell me ? If im stranded in an unheated building over night and I have a heat bulb that brings the temp up to 0 degrees, am I a happier camper?
    seems to me the only difference would be that it would take me 10 minutes rather than 5 to freeze to death.

5. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    A.J.'s :

Can someone tell me ? If im stranded in an unheated building over night and I have a heat bulb that brings the temp up to 0 degrees, am I a happier camper?
    seems to me the only difference would be that it would take me 10 minutes rather than 5 to freeze to death.

Uh......you're not a chicken. Humans and chickens have a couple differences between them.

jeremy​

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    it is that cold here too- and I am tempted to bring all the girls in and set them up in my utility room...just because I am a wimp, and it would save me from having to go outside to care for them.

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

A.J.'s :

Somehow, even in the dead of winter, there are wild animals out there who are living without a building and without a heat bulb. Animals are built different than people. We are doing what we can to keep our pets as comfortable as possible.​

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    A.J.'s :

I guess it would depend on if I found you at the 5 minute or 10 minute mark..

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by