1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

The perfect mix of chicks. Which Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BirdBrain, Dec 26, 2007.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    So, if you were ordering a new flock of birds with about 2 each of the following, what roos (2) would you choose for this crew? Keep in mind I have kids so need a fairly friendly variety.

Black Australorp
    Buff Orpington
    White and Black Jersey Giants
    Speckled Sussex
    Welsummer
    Cuckoo Maran
    Barred Rock
    Salmon Faverolle
    Silver Gray Dorking

All opinions welcome. [​IMG]

2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I am no expert but if I were ordering I would order a barred rock roo. Just because I like the Plymouth rocks and my barred girls are sweet birds. My partridge rock roo was a real sweetheart too.

3. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    If you are planning on hatching your eggs I would suggest going with 3 roos for that many hens. I think if it was me I would have a BO roo, oh ya I do..[​IMG] Mine is very quiet and actually is larger then the top roo in my group. I would also get a speckled Sussex, I dont have these yet but would like to. For a third roo I would probably get a cuckoo or salmon. I love color and with that nice variety you are sure to have some nice chicks. Jenn

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    My DH and I are hoping to move back to "the old home place" where my parents currently run cattle and I am already dreaming of the fun I'll have with my birds. I am also wanting some ducks and geese. DH said I could have anything I wanted, but he draws the line at pigs...maybe he'll change his mind.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning toward a BO and a Barred Rock, but a Speckled Sussex is an interesting idea. Are they friendly?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Several of these would work well. My personal favorite is the Barred Rock, but a Buff Orp, Cuckoo Marans or Salmon Faverolles are each good choices. I've heard excellent things about all. Of course, there are individual differences, for certain, but every single Barred Rock I've had has been very sweet and non-aggressive to people and at the same time, an excellent flock protector.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Buff Orpington or cuckoo Marans if it were my choice.

7. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I said SS just because I think they are sooooo pretty. It truely is in each bird. I have a bunch of americanas and a few of the roos were soooo mean, they went quick!! Now my top roo is also an americana and he is wonderful, which is good considering his spurs are close to 2 inches long.. My hubby lets me have pretty much anything I want except goats..lol Every goat we have had has headbutted him and so I cant have them again. I do get to have pretty much anything else. Yes we have had a pig, and a cow before. The cow went to the sale barn and we ate the pig. We plan on getting another one this spring. Animals that are meant to be eaten get food names so the kids understand, ham, bacon, things like that. Animals that I do not intend to eat dont get food names. Baba the sheep is not going to get eaten, at least if I have anything to do with it. My hubby wants to eat her and I said no... Good luck, with a variety like that you should be happy no mater what you get for roos. The babies will be great. Jenn

8. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Faverolles roosters are generally extremely gentle. My favorite is the "go-to" guy when the other roosters are getting a bit too randy. The girls all run to him (I wonder why, as I've never seen him scuffle with anyone)... however, the other roosters are less likely to chase when he's around. He's a real calming influence in the yard.

The girls will actually try to snuggle under his wings and breast. It's quite touching, really. He's also a good rooster for keeping an eye out on the sky and calling to the girls when he's found something tasty to eat.

I also have Speckled Sussex roosters, and they seem to be quite nice, too. I did have a mean SF once, though.

My vote is for a Salmon Faverolles rooster. They're also extremely beautiful!

[​IMG]

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Buff Orp and Barred Rock.

10. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Rooster Red beat me to the punch but, Buff Orp or Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by