The Pet Rat Thread! Post pictures and discuss your pet rat(s)!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome!
    This is the Pet Rat Thread, where you may post pictures and discuss your pet rats. Unfortunately, I don't have any pet rats but I would like to get a few Dumbo Rat females at some point in the near future.

[​IMG] Post Away! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i wish i had pics on this computer of some of mine from over the years...im adicted to them lol, but havent had any in quite a while due to space issues.
    i want a coupld dumbo rex boys once i get my own place [​IMG]

3. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I picked up nine rats the other day off of freecycle! four girls and five boys. These are my first ones. I have rehomed a couple and will get rid of several more,hopeing top keep just a trio. The male will be a black and white hooded and so will one female,the other is dark brown/black. They are hand tame but its hard to get used to the tail. I also have guniea pigsand am used to no tails and lots of cuteness. I think the most intimidating thing is that they are intelligent! I'm not used to a critter that has smarts!lolHope more ratters get on here,there is a lot I need to learn about them.

4. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I was convinced.
    I am now the proud owner of two black silver satin boys.
    Friendliest, cutest little creatures on earth.

One question... They leave a bit of a smell on my hands, a ratty smell. Is there any good way to get it off?
    I ended up washing them(My hands, not the rats)three times before the scent faded.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Dont have one [​IMG]

6. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    When I was 15 I had a pet rat. He was the most loving thing alive. He would sit on my shoulder and give me little ratty kisses. Also he was very clean, he had a little ratty litter box and was always grooming himself. He liked to swim too. So to help with the smell we put some warm water in the bathtub, about 2 inches deep and put a little dawn dish detergent in it. Let him/her play around for a bit, just take them out before the water gets cold. Then rinse them off and blow dry. They will learn to love bathtimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by