1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"The Phase" - And a Meanie Question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsKemmerlin, Aug 10, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    My three baby scovys are now seven weeks, as of tomorrow - and they've hit the "You're going to eat us! Runnnnnn!" stage that I've unfortunately heard about [​IMG] DH keeps reassuring me that it will pass eventually, but gracious if that isn't the stuff that will put you into a funk.. The one I believe to be a female is the worst with it, she will literally do anything to get away from my hands. The others don't want at all to be messed with, but they at least don't continue to freak out after I've grabbed them [​IMG]

Any suggestions other than treats and forced cuddling, until they finally realize I'm not giving up so they better give in? [​IMG]

Also, they are housed with my three hens - any suggestions to keep the peace? They are normally pretty good together, but every once in a while one or two of the hens will come out of no where and peck one of my poor babies making him/her fuss [​IMG] I keep trying to convince the duckies to put a whomping on her one good time to scare her and it won't happen again, but of course, who am I to listen to [​IMG] They'll out grow them one day though...

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think it depends a lot on how much you handle them. My ducks never got over that "stage". I didn't pick them up much, though and just let them be ducks. Of course, they would ALWAYS come running to me if I had treats!

Oh, as far as the chickens, I had a separate pen for my ducks. But I think plenty of people keep them together and they settle down on their own eventually.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Interesting. As same age weeklings, 1 or 2 of my little Mallards bullied my chicks, so I separated them.

Now, as 4 month olds, one of my Pekins keeps the hens from feeding at the same spot. So my chickens have always been underdogs to my ducks. Ducks are hogs! I don't make my chickens co-habitate with them. They free-range during day, but the chickens and ducks make 2 distinct groups.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ducks don't like to be picked up, so your "forced cuddling" is probably what's got them running from you.

5. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I handled mine *a lot* as they were growing up. They still squirm once I pick them up but they will stop right in their tracks when I approach them and let me catch them... They know there is no use in running.

6. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    How old are they? If they aren't fully fledged you might want to seperate them from your hens until they can hold their own. (Keeping a small temporary pen inside your coop for your ducklings will allow the chickens and ducks to get to know eachother in a non-threatening way.)

Patience is the key to getting a duck to be friendly. Sitting on the ground with treats on and around you is a wonderful way to get them close to you. You want them to approach you so they don't see you as the scary lady who picks them up. Instead whenever you come close you should offer treats. (You want to be known as the lady with the food.)

Some ducks will never be completely friendly, while others adapt quickly and learn to love their people. I have one runner who follows me everywhere and climbs right in my lap for cuddles. I have one runner who even though I have worked with her from the time she was 3 weeks old she avoids me like the plauge.
    Some breed's are more friendly while other's are more timid, And those hatched by people are more likley to be people oriented. There is alot that goes into how friendly they are.

Hope I could help!
    Emily

7. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Well my hens are 22 weeks, so they think they rule the world [​IMG] I think that's the main reason why the hens are more dominate than my sweet little ducklings. It is still "their" house [​IMG] Someone will get over it eventually, I suppose! We've done the run/coop inside the run thing and they did great. Even after letting them all mingle. I think the hens get a little jealous sometimes and that's what causes it. Blah.

And I have had them since they were a day old. Some nasty individual caught them, stuck them in a cooler and left them. No other ducks around, at all. I think they were taken from somewhere else and they just "forgot" them at the location of where they were found. But after a friend of mine found them he brought them to me - I got them hydrated again and eating, etc - And being my first ducks, they were and are handled more than the average bear! They are just so addicting. I can't keep away from them [​IMG] So this is something completely new for them... they're actually very social towards me.. at least, were. They would come sit in my lap, follow me around, were always up for a scratch and were pretty cuddly [​IMG] Even still - once I have them - the trick is catching them. I think I've been replaced by their attempts to fly and "bug hunts" [​IMG] They are seven weeks old, as of tomorrow.

Edited: too bad I can't spell today. [​IMG]

8. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Quote:hahaha!

9. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL