The Pink Rooster brought joy to nursing home residents

Kitty135

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Hello everyone!
I would really like to share a great story with you.
My grandmother is the activities director of a nursing home. She is always great at her job and brings so much joy to those older residents. As a child, she would always let me help out with the weekly nursing home parties that she does. Each party would have a theme. Some of my favorite themes included 50's day, polka fest, and tea parties. When I graduated junior high last summer, my grandmother decided that I was old enough to host a party of my choice at the nursing home. I chose to host a farm party. I prepared a game of pin the waddle on the rooster, in which the residents took turns taping a red deflated balloon on a giant paper rooster that I had cut out of poster board. We also did raffles and gave away bead necklaces and farm related stuffed animals. The residents also enjoyed when I drew two names out of a hat. The two lucky residents were crowned farm king and farm queen. Each received a sparkly handmade crown and a fancy giftbasket with farm themed goodies.
The party was thought to be over... until I brought out my pink Japanese Bantam rooster, Titan, on a matching pink leash! I had him perched on my arm and allowed each of the residents to interact with him. It was really nice watching the other residents reminisce. I was thrilled when several alzheimers residents were able to tell me about their past. It turns out that some of them bred chickens and raised them for meat and eggs! After each resident had seen Titan the pink chicken up close, I brought him back to his resting perch and dismissed the party. It was so great watching the residents leave the party giggling and remembering!
And now: How I dyed Titan
1-If you are planning on bringing your chicken somewhere in public like I did, you must first ensure that they are up to date on all vaccines. Make sure you get a harness and leash (I used a ten dollar pink cat harness that I got from petsmart). It may also be a good idea to clip a wing if your bird can be flighty, although I didn't have to do that with Tian.
2-Using a pet safe shampoo, bathe your chicken thoroughly in a tub of warm water. Be careful not to break any feathers!
3- Mix a packet of sugar-free kool-aid with a few teaspoons of water.
4- Carefully rub the kool-aid mixture into your chicken's still wet feathers. Make sure you get all the feathers covered!
5- Rinse thoroughly, then shampoo once more.
6- Using a blowdryer and towel, dry all of the feathers.
This treatment will last a month or two, or until the next molt.
It is very important that you use sugar-free kool-aid! Sugar will irritate the chicken's skin!

Last edited:
What a nice story. It is also comforting to see a young person taking an intrest in volunteering to make someone elses life a little brighter.
bow.gif
I believe you said that you graduated from jr. high. I hope I am not mistaken. Sounds as if you planned out a great party and it went over really big with the residents. Young folks are our future and it is nice seeing them get involved with something such as this. You should be very proud of yourself.
clap.gif

What a nice story. It is also comforting to see a young person taking an intrest in volunteering to make someone elses life a little brighter.
bow.gif
I believe you said that you graduated from jr. high. I hope I am not mistaken. Sounds as if you planned out a great party and it went over really big with the residents. Young folks are our future and it is nice seeing them get involved with something such as this. You should be very proud of yourself.
clap.gif
Yes, I am now in my first year of high school. And thanks! I really can't lie, though... I had just as much fun as the residents did!

That sounds so wonderful! I bet that is something those residents will be talking about for some time... :)

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the event or the rooster all done up...?

Yes, I am now in my first year of high school. And thanks! I really can't lie, though... I had just as much fun as the residents did!

They had a blast and you had a blast. Sounds like a very successful party. I am also glad they let you bring poultry in the home. Most places will not do that. It sounds as if you took all of the necessary precautions. Hats off to you.

Haha! You should! It's so funny seeing people's reactions to a dyed chicken! One resident thought that I created a new breed of chicken!

Back
Top Bottom