The pleasant atmosphere of old feed stores...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by happychickmom, Jun 11, 2011.

1. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    So our family was sitting around the table tonight talking about how the atmosphere of old feed stores is so great: Creaky wooden floors that you can see through, along with the smell of feed and seed. Our favorite one was demolished a couple of years ago, but we still have two in our area. Brings back childhood memories. My kids are teens and 20-something, and they love them, too.

2. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Ahhhhh, yes. For me it was the Jeddo Feed Mill in Jeddo NY. The smell of feed and molasses, and yes it was complete with creaky wooden floors! Wow it was at least 40 years ago. You won't find anything like that in Florida.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Interesting, I remember the creaky wooden floors in the old locally owned Agway as a child too.... what is it with the creaky floors? I'd go in with my dad, and while he was browsing through livestock booklets I would head straight for the new chick bin! *Peep*Peep*Peep!* [​IMG] My mother, who was not at all into the farm life, would sit in the car, chain smoke and complain about the heat. [​IMG]

4. RJ3

RJ3 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Northern wi
    I just read today that the "old feedmill" in my hometown is going to be saved and used as an antique shop! I'm SO happy to hear that [​IMG] I remember going there as a kid with my Grandma and Cousin, there was always a cat laying around I could play with, and the smell of the molasses:) I still love that smell. For all my life my family has sat in front of that store every year for the towns annual parade. Hasn't failed us yet!

5. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Here is the feed store that I bought my chicks at this year, referred to by a co-worker.

Roach Feed and Seed on Main St. in Old Downtown Garland TX.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this ol' store .... very nostalgic.

[​IMG]

Here is a blurp from their website....

In the tradition of old-fashioned genuine customer service, this family owned business has

served the Garland area for 77 years. Haskell L. Roach and his father, William H. Roach,

opened Roach Feed & Grocery on July 1, 1933.

Through the years, we have had a chicken hatchery and an on site greenhouse which

now houses our pet shop. The facility has largely remained the same, with the original wood

floors and the smell of sweet feed. Each spring we supply baby chicks and ducks. We have

everything for dogs, cats, small and large pets, wild birds, lawns, gardens and organics.

We have the products you need, even the hard to find products.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Our feed mill closed several years ago, and I think they are going to tear it down. [​IMG]

7. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    The farm and garden center by me is great. The first time I walked in there felt like home to me. When I was in the planning stages of my coop run design, one of the ladies was SO helpful. She was like an old friend that I hadn't seen in years, lol.

Sadly though, they're few and far between.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've visited a few but too modern however the drug stores or all purpose stores are wonderful to look into. The smell, the sights and creaking floorboards of the Brimfield ACE hardware store with all the stuff piled in the shelves and seed drawers........sigh......... I hope they continue with it.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    come to remember one.....was an old airplane hanger from WWII era.....small one for soldiers to bunk in. It may not be rat or mice proof but it was so durable.

10. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Black's Feed Mill in Hico, TX....cannot tell you how many times I have been in that store.
    Poston's in Stephenville, TX......sadly..both of these now closed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by