The PO needs held responsible for damaging eggs.......very sad.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 26, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    It is really disgusting that they allow eggs and live animals to be shipped yet do NOTHING to ensure their safe arrival. Had a shipment of 20 eggs. One was broken and all were badly shaken up (seller packed very well, BTW). Ended up removing several because the yolks were scrambled...some started developing and died, some did not. Well, the hatch is now over and today I got the biggest shock. I lost several because the air cells were damaged and took over most of the space in the shell....the babies didn't even have room to develop. But here is the worst. Two babies hatched with severely crossed beaks and missing an eye (they HAD to be x-rayed). That's right, TWO one eyed chicks in one hatch. One died almost immediately so I assume she had other issues too, the other is still alive, for now. Out of this shipment of 20 eggs I got 2 seemingly healthy chicks. I just don't understand how they can agree to ship living creatures and then be so careless about their welfare. [​IMG]

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    How awful! That is so sad

I dont think the post office is responsible for anything. :mad:

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

When people write on the box, DO NOT X-RAY, the post office SHOULD x-ray them. How do they know that people arent shipping around illegal drugs, etc.

When shipping eggs, that kind of thing happens.

What was the box labeled?

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Responsibility and Post Office do not mix!

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    The box was not labeled "do not xray", it was labeled "hatching eggs", "fragile", etc. It also had my phone number and instructions to call for pick-up clearly written on the top. It was bounced all over dirt roads in the mail truck, in the heat, then literally thrown against my door and fell in when I opened it.

6. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    That's so terrible! I totally understand your frustration, but it's the risk we take. I feel bad for the malformed babies!! I would much rather them not hatch then suffer...

7. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

when u take the eggs in to the post office they have u oppen the box to make sure its just eggs.. then they rightDO NOT EXRAY.... and the stiker scaner says it too.. but some people just dont care.. and they throw then around like a vollyball... ygh.. so sry that happend to u!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Eggs shouldnt be labeled "DO NOT X-RAY, or HATCHING EGGS".

I have heard from sellers, that when Hatching Eggs is written on the box, that most always, the eggs are thrown around, and the box is shook. just labeling the box FRAGILE is the best thing. Also, Last year I bought 1 doz. gold sebright eggs. none developed, I emailed the seller, and they said they stopped putting do not x-ray on the box, because it almost assured the eggs to get x-rayed.

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:That is my thoughts, too. The one silkie egg died at about day 10 from a scrambled yolk...my son was so sad, but I was almost relieved that she didn't hatch and have these type problems. [​IMG]

I just feel the post office either needs to stop allowing the shipment of live animals and embryos or take proper care of them while they have them.

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm really sorry this happened to you. [​IMG]

I'm not sure though that the usps ever agreed to carefully handle hatching eggs, or anything for that matter, they do as they please.. I think that is just something we expect of them. Shipping is always at your own risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by