The point of parakeet treats?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by itsy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey peeps. I have three common crazy keets.

What's the point of the hard block treats that are called things like "honey sticks", etc? It's really a formed block of seed that's held together by something sticky. My birds are eating it as we speak, but it doesn't make much sense to me. If they are shelling the seeds, what does it make a difference with what they're coated with? I also add a vitamin liquid (per the instructions) to both their water and general seed cup. What's the point in adding it to the seeds if they are simply going to take the hulls off when they eat? I'm considering switching over to pellets, but the birds get a variety of foods including greens and fruits along with their seeds, treats and millet spray.

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I think its just something different for them to mess with. They set in that cage day in and day out, or I am assuming they do, and it has to be a little bit boring, so its just like a new toy. Mine LOVE them, will work and work and work on them until they are gone, and then they want to chew on the little plastic stick they were molded on.

3. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    If you shelled peanuts with your mouth, you'd be able to taste whether they were salted or not. So maybe they lick the stuff off the seeds while they're hulling them?

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    If they like it, then there's nothing wrong! [​IMG]
    I have the same things, and mine won't even touch them.

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

The point is that people buy them, so they'll continue to be produced.

But then, why do people buy them? We like to consider our pets our "other kids" and like to spoil them. We'll often think "this sounds like something I'd enjoy" and translate that to our pets. Also, birds in captivity don't have nearly as much to do in their days as those in the wild, since their food is easily accessed from a food dish. Things like the honey sticks give them something to do -- they have to work for their food -- and keeps them from finding a more destructive form of fun -- like when my Sammy decides that buttons are evil and must be removed from my shirts when I have laundry on the bed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  6. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Well, they are able to taste, and those things taste sweet to them. Add to that the brain activity from shelling and eating, and it's a really fun treat for the little budgies.

My conures loved them.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:LOL

At least you can sew most buttons back on... unlike re-constructing the rubber pads under the keys on laptops... [​IMG]

8. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL

At least you can sew most buttons back on... unlike re-constructing the rubber pads under the keys on laptops... [​IMG]

I could, if the buttons weren't split down the middle in the process of removing them....sometimes I catch him before he finishes, and I have some shirts with a random half-button still attached.

But that's the joy of having these monkeys-with-wings for pets.

[​IMG]

9. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Sorry off topic but Aquaeyes I love your amazon! Double yellow head?

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ah! He sure does more than remove buttons, he removes and annihilates them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by