The poop on pigeon poop?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by matt swenson, Mar 22, 2019.

1. matt swenson

matt swenson Songster

Feb 1, 2019
    Cape Cod
    i search around in your threads and didn't find anything, if the info is there point the way, if not...... Pigeon people what's the truth about pigeon droppings. I was brought up that pigeon dropping had dangerous brain or lung worms that would kill or cripple a human. There is even a family story of a friends dad who ended with brain damage and couldn't talk or walk, because of pigeon droppings. (Although I've heard my dad tell the same story with starlings, but usually it's pigeons.) because of this I have always avoided pigeon poop, or treated it like radioactive waste. Wearing gloves,mask, paper suits, the yards. Is there a danger? Is it only in wild birds? Is this all just an old wives tale? Not to hurt your feelings but when I think of pigeons I think "dirty birds". So what's the truth?

cavemanrich and backyard pigeons like this.
  2. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Maybe in some places some wild animals could carry a virus or parasite, and their droppings could spread it. It’s really only bats you need to be worried about, not pigeons. A lot of things birds get mammals can’t get and vice versa.

The only thing I’ve heard that pigeons can give you is pigeon lung or something, but that only happens if your loft is dirty and you breath in too much of the dust, which causes a fungal infection in the lungs (something I have a bit of a risk of getting). But that is easily preventable by wearing a mask while cleaning out the loft.

As far as I think, a lot of things said about pigeons is just nonsense.

3. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Crowing

Oct 18, 2018
    It is just an old wives tale :) if there really is a deadly disease people in big city's with feral pigeons wouldn't be doing so good. Pigeons are surprisingly clean birds, the only thing that is dangerous about them is their dust like mentioned above.

4. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    If that was true I'd be dead!:lol: Also, before chemical fertilizers, pigeon poop was so highly prized as a fertilizer that lofts were locked to guard against poop theft.

5. matt swenson

matt swenson Songster

Feb 1, 2019
    Cape Cod
    Well...it seems I will be les paranoid about dropping from now on.

6. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Crowing

Oct 18, 2018
    Do you have pigeons?

7. matt swenson

matt swenson Songster

Feb 1, 2019
    Cape Cod
    no pigeons ...just chickens and emus. That's why i was wondering about the poop myth. I'm looking to get something new and exciting; which is hard when you already have emus. Was thinking of going small with quail, but ive never had any thing that really flew. so was checking out pigeons.

8. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Quail will fly and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, away., and not return. That is the reason I don't have any. Pigeons can be trained to return to your loft after free flight. That is why most here on the pigeon forums keep them. There are some peeps that do keep them only in aviaries, or even as house pets.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Quacking Pigeon and biophiliac like this.
  9. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    I used to let my quail free range and they would disappear down the bush. They always came back to their pen.

biophiliac and cavemanrich like this.
  10. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Maybe in your area, there was not much food source for them. They returned to pen because that was where the food was. Possibly a different quail breed also, Those in my area, will not return. Everyone that keeps quail, has aviaries, or just cages. They eat the eggs, and then the quail. (the reason they raise them). I keep chickens and pigeons as pets only. Quail would also be pets if I had them.

backyard pigeons and biophiliac like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: