The post office has had my pet chickens since 11am yesterday (12th) so much for express!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wren, Mar 13, 2013.

1. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Shipped by us postal service express. was supposed to arrive today (13th) at three pm. three hens. going from Iowa to Florida. They last had access to food and water at ten am. Customer service, tracking, calling post offices directly and package domestic research number all leading to my poor babies being stuck in a box. All my fault.

I asked if they would water them and tracking laughed. Post master asked if I wanted info on my rights for animals that arrive dead. They offered a guess as far as where they were, and to call me back. They never did. I called four-five times.

Please does anyone have any helpful info to share?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Don't get me started on the post office. I mailed some eggs and wrote Fragile all over it, and it arrived with the corner of the box crushed in. So I won't be marking packages anymore.

I think at the very least, you should get a refund, because you paid for express and did not get it express. It's too bad that so many people just don't care-about anything.

I'm so sad about this happening. You may want to go to your post office, or the main post office and annoy them in person. Ask for the manager. Show some tears. They need to jump thru hoops for you.

It's a good thing it's not hot out, in Florida we're having a cool night in the 40's and tomorrow 60's. I'd be more worried if it was hot out.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Yes, thanks. I shipped them at this time on purpose and even took them to a shipping hub at the time they recommended!

I wonder if I could turn them in for animal abuse! No record of where they are currently my hind end.

I wish I had never sent them. If they would just water them! They have got to be still at the sorting facility.

4. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    UPDATE chickens are in the coop drinking like crazy and all alive! Thank God!

5. BayGoose

BayGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    PA
    Yes, the post office is terrible. I refuse to use them as I had a lot of bad experiences. Even losing live birds that were expedited. And their customer service it terrible. I only use fed ex and UPS now and much happier.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    im so happy it worked out good for you! that's great!! :) :)

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Soooo happy the chickens got there unharmed but thirsty.

Will UPS or FED EX ship chickens?

8. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Okay. I wanted to use fedex. I called two different major FedEx world locations and they both said that they do not ship live animals. Yesterday, a postal office worker tells me that the post office used a FedEx airplane to get my birds to me. There are no FedEx logos on the box and the box disappeared from the us postal sorting center then reappeared in Jacksonville FL post office. I asked a postman in charge of shipping if FedEx still handled the shipping of birds. They said no, that FedEx are their competitors. I know that years ago they used to be the post office's subcontractors when somebody wanted to ship birds.

Post office, never again. I do want to thank the gal Darlene who promised to water them and Matt who found them! Two good postal workers in a high stress job who went above and beyond.

I still don't know what the $&&&@@&$ happened. So FedEx does ship birds. Huh. Someone should tell them! I even argued with the second guy I talked to!

9. BayGoose

BayGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    PA
    I always request UPS and FedEx for shipped eggs. I even pay extra for them to be overnighted and they always arrive on time and in perfect shape. UPS doesn't ship live animals whatsoever. FedEx will ship live birds with their critical shipping but they usually only allow them for zoos etc I believe. I really wish they both would allow for shipping birds as I avoid the post office like the plague. But for eggs, especially valuable eggs, I use FedEx and UPS. Last time I used the post office for eggs, they were shipped priority mail but they stayed at a sorting facility for over a week. They didn't arrive in 2-3 days like they were suppose to and they were shipped only three states over from me. And I've shipped live birds from PA to Maine by usps, and were suppose to arrive next day. Nope, they couldn't located them and it took three days. Their overnight "express" shipping is usually never overnight. More like priority mail but you pay a lot more. It's no wonder why they're hurting for business.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by