The post office is killing my babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ClothespinQueen, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Yes, they arrived within 2 days and most all were alive.

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Yes, they arrived in 3 days and most were alive.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Yes, they arrived in 3 days or more and most were dead.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. No, I never have ordered baby chicks by mail.

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. ClothespinQueen

ClothespinQueen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Last week, my babies shipped from Cackle Hatchery in MO to near Austin TX. It was by priority mail, had a tracking number... last scan was for Springfield MO.... They were supposed to arrive in 2 days, so on that Wednesday. I notified my small local post office... I got a call the next day and when I arrived to pick them up, they were of course all dead. It had been 3 days shipping and it was cold up there in MO.

SO - Cackle offered me some different breeds which were better than what I'd ordered... re-shipped this Monday. Same deal - last scan was for Springfield.

I called the USPS big number (not the local office) and they told me that the hatchery should have shipped express as delivery would be guaranteed in 2 days and priority could be 2-4 days and most live animals ship express. My local post master said the same. When I called Cackle again today and talked to a supervisor she said that in their years of experience there was no decrease in transit time with express vs priority and express is many times more expensive.

I am not sure if my babies will arrive tomorrow or not... I have heard that Ideal hatchery here in TX has lesser genetics and being a scientist I would like my girls to start out strong in that regard. HOwever, Ideal birds are at least local to here and I can buy them in the feed stores. If this order does not survive I will likely buy feed store birds this year...

BUT, would like to know, what's your experience in baby shipping methods and times? I grew up on a farm and my parents and grandparents both mail ordered babies and never had much of a problem. Is it just that the post office is getting worse? It is frustrating that UPS and FedEx are not able to ship animals as this then would no longer be a problem.

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Hope your new babies arrive in good condition.Started to mailorder mine but decided to get them directly from my local TSC.

3. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    The first time i ordered from Ideal I had only one survive, it took almost four days for them to get here. The replacement chicks however, all survived and it took only one day for them to get here (Texas to Hawaii). The weather was great both times, the shipping was the same, and the packaging was the same. Not sure what went wrong the first time...

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I've ordered from Ideal before and had 100% survival. (I'm in Texas, too). I'm not a scientist, so I can't speak to the genetics per se, but I can say I've been happy with Ideal's birds. I also don't show or breed chickens except for my own flock.

However, this year I placed an order with Meyer because my local feed store has had terrible luck with shipments from Ideal this year. They report 90% dead or dying upon arrival on each shipment they've received this year. I have my doubts about ordering from so far north, but with what the feed store said I decided to take my chances. We'll see how it goes. My chicks are due to arrive 3/19. I'm just hoping it's not terribly cold in Ohio when they ship.

5. ClothespinQueen

ClothespinQueen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    90% dead at the feed stores? Yuck. So annoying. I was wanting to avoid any health issues and kept hearing good things about Cackle but... This is our first chickens (I did grow up with them, so not entirely new) and was just wanting a fun and happy experience as much as possible. Guess I'll find out in the morning if any arrive...

6. AccidentalFarm

Mar 29, 2007
    Yep, 90%. What a horror show for the employee opening the shipment, huh? Glad it wasn't me.
    Anyway, good luck in the morning. Let us know how it turns out.

7. AngieO

AngieO Chillin' With My Peeps

I have ordered from Meyers and not had any problems. I have had one or two dead in each order but the live ratio was pretty good. I placed an order from Cackle, but they won't ship out until the end of this month.
    My orders usually ship on Monday morning and I receive them on Wednesday. Technically two days, however I think Meyers packages the chicks early in the morning so they are boxed all day Monday, Tuesday and until I receive them on Wednesday.

8. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I ordered mine from McMurray (Iowa to California) hearing that their quality of chickens was very good. All arrived alive and still are, two weeks later. They got here within two days (even after a holiday weekend) and had a heat pack and one extra chick. I am very happy with them! Would definitely repeat the experience. Sorry about your babies.

9. AccidentalFarm

Mar 29, 2007
    I wonder if Meyer's ships with a heat pack during cold weather? Hmm..anyone know?

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    my chicks we're sent express mail. no issues thank God but i paid for there express mail. but that's the only way this breeder sent chicks. I'm so sorry this happened to you! they should have been express mail in my opnion. express is faster than proiority mail. Hope your chicks will be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by